𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟖𝟐: 𝐎𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐧

𝖔𝖇𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖎𝖔𝖓

the state of being unaware of what is happening around you.

˚✩ ⋆。˚ ✩

A state of melancholy was felt around as Hogwarts students entered their last week of holidays.

Dinners at the Potter Manor were getting quieter and quieter as Fleamont and Euphemia realized they would be left alone in their big Manor without their boys.

"Don't worry, mum," James said, holding her hand at the dinner table, "Next year this time, you will be begging for some time away from us."

As Euphemia opened her mouth to respond, the hoot of an owl cut her off and a Eurasian eagle owl swooped down the chimney. 

"Whose owl is that?" James asked loudly.

"The Malfoy's," Angelica and Sirius answered at the same time.

An envelope dropped down into Angelica's lap. She recognized the design on the envelope well enough that she knew what it was before opening it. 

Still, she tore open the envelope and pulled out the invite.

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

The Malfoy family cordially invites you to the annual Summer Ball

Tuesday, August 30th

Malfoy Manor

Sanctimonia Vincet Semper

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

"This has got to be a mistake, right?" commented Angelica as she turned the invite over to check for any signs of fraud. 

"The Malfoy's don't make mistakes, Angel."

"I'm disowned."

"From the Lestrange's, yes. And probably named blood-traitor by the Black's. But Lucius can make his own decision for what the Malfoy's want." 

Sirius took the envelope from her lap and looked inside it. He pulled out a small note and read over the words with a scoff. "It's definitely not a mistake." 

He turned the note to her and sprawled across it- in Narcissa's handwriting- were the words 'Don't bring Sirius!'

"This is the second time she's done that," scowled Sirius before calling her an unfriendly name under his breath. 

"Sirius!" Euphemia gasped but he just winked in her direction.

Before Angelica could try make sense of it, another owl swooped in dropping a smaller letter into her lap. 

James asked, "And that is—"

"Lestrange's," answered Sirius. 

Angelica pulled out the note and recognized Rabastan's handwriting at once. 

She turned the note to Sirius to show him the words. 'Please don't bring Sirius.'

"Well, at least he has manners," tried James, looking over Sirius' shoulder at the note. 

"Even Rabastan doesn't like me?" asked Sirius. 

"I don't know. I've never sat with him and discussed you," remarked Angelica. "But the next time I see him, I'll be sure to ask."