Chapter Sixteen - Just Drama

There was a whole magnificent soul burning brightly behind her 'shy' - Atticus

"Frank, what the fuck are you doing?" I laughed at my friend.

He rolled his eyes, "I'm just trying to open my locker, shut up." Frank was constantly forgetting how to open his combination lock and it looked ridiculous. Me laughing at my friend's pain was interrupted.

"Hey, Gerard, come her!" Hayley's voice sounded from down the hall. I raised an eyebrow at Frank and said I would be right back. I didn't think she would willingly talk to me.

"What do you want?" I asked, keeping a couple feet distance in case she tried anything funny.

She smirked, "Y/n is your little girlfriend, huh?"

"Yeah, so?" I immediately got defensive when she brought up Y/n. I didn't see how this was any of her business.

Hayley laughed, "Well, I happen to know something about her that you don't." She leaned against the locker, as if she expected me to ask what it was she knew.

"Why would I care?" I began to back away from her, but she pulled out a notebook, and my curiosity grew. "What is that?"

She looked up at me with a devious smile, "This is Y/n's notebook, it's not the only one. She's been writing down dirt and secrets about people since middle school. Why do you think she's so quiet? She's a freak. I asked her to get dirt on you and that's why she got so close to you. I'm sure she has a notebook full of your secrets, too. But she won't give it to me because you really made her care about you." She paused, and threw the notebook at me. "She used to care about me like that, too."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I didn't care about the notebook. I didn't care about the secrets. I didn't care if she used to like Hayley. But to think the only reason she started to hang out with me was to get dirt, that really hurt me. I thought maybe for once, somebody liked me back genuinely.

Hayley shoved by me, and I looked down at the small notebook. Should I even open it? I put it in my coat pocket and return to my friend still struggling with his locker.

"What was all that about?" Frank asked, giving up after kicking his locker one last time.

I shrug, "Just drama."