Chapter One - To Be Known

chapters starting in 'Atticus' poems are Gerards POV while chapters starting in Alexandra Vasiliu poems are your POV

She spent a life building walls, then sat there in her 'lonely' wondering why nothing grew - Atticus

There's a girl in the back of class and she never participates. Nobody pays attention to her, she's far too quiet. She acts as if everything she does is an inconvenience to everyone else. You can tell by the way she acts that nobody tells her that she's allowed to exist. She walks on eggshells, trying not to make the slightest crack.

Today, I watched her carefully unzip her backpack, and pull out her chapstick. My eyes darted to her lips, they did seem chapped and faded. She pulled the lid and it made a pop. Nobody noticed, but she looked around as if she dropped a bomb.

She quickly slid the balm across both her lips, and rubbed them together. The lid popped back onto the stick and was shoved back into her bag. The zipper remained open.

The bell rang, and everyone left, except her. She didn't want to push through the crowd of kids during their mass exodus. She finally zipped her backpack now that the room was loud.

She looked to the left and her eyes met mine. I smiled and she quickly looked away. One day I'll talk to her, and maybe I can be the one to tell her that she's allowed to be known.