44: At Least Ask First

The 'no Oliver' rule. Broken.

But rules were made to be broken. And right now, the butterflies in my stomach are definitely agreeing. I hadn't seen him all day. He'd been at practice, it's easy to tell. His sweating hair was stuck to his forehead. He was dressed in his normal outfit of leather jacket and jeans. He looks smoking, and that's coming from someone who refuses to become an Oliver Grey groupie.

"What are you, how?" I stumble, trying to decide on a question to ask, "Oliver?"

"Haze," He gives me short nod, "Didn't we?"

I blink a couple of times and then look to Emma and Levi. They look just as, if not more, confused than I am. Emma's jaw is halfway to the floor and her eyes are about to pop out of her sockets. Levi, however, looks surprised that Oliver Grey is here rather than out partying. He looks to me and furrows his eyebrows like I had an answer to all his questions.

"Oliver!" Braden speaks up.

"Boys, how was school?"

"I sat by that girl today!" Braden smiles, proud of himself.

Oliver smirks, "Oh, so you've got smooth moves."

Braden and Ben both furrow their eyebrows at Oliver's comment. Clearly confused at what a 'smooth move' is and how Braden apparently has them.

I give Oliver a slap on the arm, "Why are you telling my little brother he's got moves."

Oliver's eyes fall to mine and he gives me a small smile, "You're just jealous of him."

My mouth falls open but I'm quick with a comeback, "Actually, I think you are."

Oliver raises an eyebrow, "Really? Cause I could've sworn they were working," He leans in closer with every word, his tone filled with amusement.

I don't lean back, but I go resist the urge to lean forward the finally inches that would make our lips meet. I look into Oliver's eyes, his shooting down to my lips every once in a while. My breathing is shallow as I feel his own hit my face. It feels like we're like this for minutes, but in reality it doesn't last more than a couple of second, if that.

He pulls away and smirks at me, "My point stands," is all he says and he picks up the milkshake.

He takes a long sip and sets in down again. Emma and Levi are still staring at Oliver with their mixture of shock and confusion. Oliver smiles at them before looking back to me.

"You even got me a milkshake."

I roll my eyes at him and turn back to the shocked couple in front of me.

"So how was your New Year's?"

Emma reacts first and answers, "We had the best time, we went up to the city."

I nod and smile at them, "To see the fireworks?"

Emma nods and Levi, finally boing the world of the living again, nods as well.

Every year, the big city that was 30 minutes away would put on a New Year's show. They even have their own ball drop, a live orchestra, and the big fireworks display that started at midnight. It was the off brand of the off brand New York New Year's celebration. Most people from around would go there to enjoy the food trucks and the frost bite.

Oliver, thinking I'm distracted by my conversation with Emma and Levi, reaches out to grab a fry from my plate. I, however, never take my sight off my precious food and notice his wandering hand. My hand shoots out and grabs his wrist to stop him. He looks to me and frowns.