23: I Told Her

Thanksgiving is such a stupid holiday. Food.

"I'm thankful for Hazel, she's the best sister."

"I'm thankful for Hazel, she rocks."

I smile at the twins. I told them they have to say what they're thankful for before they could start eating. I don't really know why I did it. We never really celebrate Thanksgiving except for the fact that we eat way too much food. But this Thanksgiving was different for two reasons. Today was the anniversary of my father's goodbye and Oliver Grey was sitting at the table with us.

Our Thanksgiving must be so different from the one he usually has. His father, Mr. Grey, throws a Thanksgiving banquet every year to raise money for some charity he probably doesn't even know the name of. It's some big thing and everyone who's anyone is invited to dress up and eat turkey. We used to be invited when our family was actually a family, but not anymore. Not since my dad disappeared.

"I'm thankful for my brothers, who light up my life and make me laugh," I smile at them and then turn to Oliver, "I'm also thankful for Oliver."

He smiles at me and before he can speak up, Braden does, "Oh, I'm also thankful for Oliver! He made the shadow monsters go away!"

I laugh at Braden's outburst and ruffle his hair. I turn my attention back to Oliver so he can speak up and say his thanks.

"I'm thankful for you two boys," He smiles at him and then his eyes turn to me, "And I'm thankful for Haze, who's been nothing but kind."

I blush at his comment and look away from his intense stare.

After our little spat the other night, we've gone back to normal. We never brought it up again, neither of us wanting to relive the hurtful things we said. We just grumbled a sorry to each other the next morning and moved it. It was for the best though. We were both tired that night and weren't thinking straight, there was no reason to hold a grudge. Oliver had proven himself again to me and the twins by being the gentleman he had been before. He saved them from the shadow monsters several times and actually did the chemistry experiments with me. Now, two weeks later, here we were celebrating Thanksgiving like some dysfunctional family. But that's how I like it.

Funnily enough, Grace, the girl I had talked to that day, came up to me the day before school was let out for Thanksgiving.

-*-

"I told her."

I gasp in surprise, "And? What'd she say?"

"We're dating now!"

"Grace, that's awesome!"

"Her and Oliver?" I don't finish my sentence, but Grave gets the point.

"He told her to walk out after her, but when she did, he was nowhere to be found."

I nod my head at her response, keeping a happy smile on because of her news. She looks at me and decides to speak up again.

"I have to thank you, Hazel. I told her my feelings and apparently she'd had them too, but was afraid to accept it. After some talking, I was able to help her out."

I give Grace a quick side hug. Who knew two Oliver groupies would fall in love? What a plot twist for Oliver Grey fans everywhere. We've been pranked.

"So," I dare to ask, "Why were you fawning over Oliver?"

"Hazel, have you seen him? I don't have to be straight to know that he's fine as fuck. I'd let him take me even if I am gay."

I laugh at her response and look through the hall to catch his blue eyes already staring at me, "He is."

-*-