Chapter XVII

The arena erupted in laughter and cheers as we applauded Jeremy, Tas, and Bonnie. A few seconds ago, I was sure they were going to lose but in a split-second Bonnie made a game changing decision that won it for them. It was invigorating to watch and I loved every minute of it.

"Great job Bonnie for keeping your head in the game and winning it for your team!" Mr. Sharp called out to her, nodding in approval.

Bonnie giggled, as Tas shot through the air tackling her in a hug. Blade and Red, remained hovering, scowling at their loss.

"Tomorrow is our last battle before our 4 winning teams fight each other. The winning team of these battles will have the opportunity of taking skill assessments to try to move up to a second year." he announced.

I shot a competitive glance at Star, waiting for her to match my gaze before we both raced each other back down to the arena. I distracted myself for a split second by looking over to see where she was. She zoomed past me and landed gracefully on the ground, retracting her wings while smirking up on me.

"Show off." I teased, landing down beside her.

"Who do you think will win?"

"My moneys on you." I said, grinning at her.

"No way! You'll definitely win before I do."

Snorting, I rolled my eyes at her comment.

"How do you think the skill assessments will be?"

"Well, Tom told me he failed three times before he moved up and he's a third year so they must be difficult," I answered.

"We don't stand a chance," she sighed, hopelessly.

I nodded in agreement.

"I'll meet you later, have fun in the Red Room."

Waving at her retreating figure, I turned around darting quickly to the Headmaster's office. I couldn't take another second of not knowing who wanted me dead. Hopefully, she'd have an answer for me.

Within a few seconds, I was turning the knob and walking inside. There were a few students already there so I sat myself down at the nearest seat, waiting anxiously for the room to clear. After half an hour of staring at the ceiling in boredom, the last student finally stepped out leaving me and the Headmaster alone. I rose up to walk up to her desk while she flew past me to lock her door.

"Have you ta-," I started to ask before she glared at me to hush. She lit a candle, as she did before, to keep us from prying ears.

Once she was satisfied and settled behind her desk, I asked her, "Have you spoken to Sara yet?"

"Yes, we have. We gave her a truth serum because she was unwilling to tell us who sent her."

"And who sent her?"

"Alan," she replied, shooting me an apologetic look.

My eyes burrowed in frustration. I knew he was one of the few people who knew but I still never imagined he'd try to kill me.

Hiding my vexation, I followed up with, "Are you sure he's the only one who wants me dead?"

"We have removed him from the Academy so he is no longer a threat. We also gave a truth serum to everyone else who has knowledge of who you are, including that teacher of yours, Mr. Sharp. They all had no ill intentions towards you. Of course, we can never be absolutely sure the threat has been eliminated but you're safe for now. I have also doubled the guards on watch. We will protect you. But it seems you also may have a protector of your own?"