Chapter XXXVIII

Deep in thought, I didn't have time to react as I heard an arrow of the dark mist come flying towards me. I brought my wings around me to deflect it immediately. I realized my error when it crashed into my wing. This wasn't a normal arrow, this was the darkness. I had just allowed it to penetrate me.

"SARON!" I heard Star scream as I looked down to see the darkness swirl around her, getting tighter around her threatening to consume her.

"NO!" I screamed, as I began racing towards it. When I got near enough to attack, I saw a flash in her eyes. I scolded myself as I realized I had fallen for another illusion. I continued to advance. Instead, I focused my magic into my wings and brought them together as a spear, releasing the magic out to attack Star. Her eyes widened in shock as my magic turned her and the dark mist to dust.

I felt myself return to the battle, opening my eyes to find myself still hovering backwards as I continued to chant. The advancing cloud was now half the size it was before the illusion. The magic was working.

"I underestimated you." An impressed voice boomed out from the clouds.

I continued to chant, determined not to let myself get distracted for a moment. I was too close.

"Dafear Acrtuis. Dafear Acrtuis. Dafear Acrtuis."

"You can do this, Saron," Zion's voice whispered.

My head swiveled around to find him hovering beside me, smiling. He nodded as he flew beside me, cocking his arm to throw a spear at the darkness. My eyes filled with tears at the sight of him. I felt an immense feeling of guilt as I watched him cock his arm to attack by my side. I smiled lovingly at him foolishly. At the last second, he smiled at me before turning his body to point the spear at me. Realizing my error, I sunk in the air to dodge him placing distance between me and the cloud. My eyes darted between an advancing cloud and an advancing Zion. I was cornered and the magic had stopped it's spreading. No. NO. NO. I felt myself begin to lose control. I slapped myself to calm down.

I CAN'T LOSE CONTROL. THIS ISN'T REAL. CALM DOWN. I yelled at myself in the air as I raced away from the nearing dark magic and my mate. I felt myself begin to settle as I focused my magic to flow into both of my arms. I turned around, aiming my magic from both of my hands, hitting Zion and the dark magic at once. The second the magic hit them both, Zion disappeared. I chanted louder, feeling myself grow weaker as the spell consumed more and more of the dark magic until there was barely any left.

I have to finish this. I was losing my energy and I only had one more attack left in me before I collapsed. I had to hit it with an attack so powerful, I destroyed the dark magic completely. I had one last chance. A final chance to prove I could do this. I could save Edward. I could save everyone in the Academy. To prove I wasn't what people thought I was. To prove all their doubts about me were wrong. To make it all worth it. My mother and my father's sacrifice. My friends' faith in me. Zion's love. It had to all have been worth it. I had to be worth it. I had to save them all.

A thought popped into my head. I reached into my mind, tapping into all four of my powers. My wolf, my angel, my Earth magic, and the vampire. I reached out to the Earth as I felt a jolt of the air itself coming towards me to offer me it's magic. I thought of blood, the rush I felt when I consumed it. I thought of how free I felt in the air, soaring with my powerful wings. I thought of the speed, the power, the energy I had felt in my wolf form.

I thought of all my powers individually, feeling each run through my bones allowing them to combine within me. I focused them to come together and felt them begin to overwhelm me as my body felt tight with the magic, as if it would explode. I felt liquid begin to pour out of my nose, my ears, and my eyes as I continued to chant. I saw the red substance traveling down my face, it was blood. Ignoring it, I focused my mind as I reached my arms out toward the darkness, allowing all of the magic to flow out of me at once. It created a burst of power bigger than the cloud itself, suffocating the dark mist until the magic consumed it completely leaving nothing in it's wake. As it's release my body felt empty, weak. There wasn't an ounce of energy left in me as I sank to the ground. I didn't even have the energy to summon my wings to protect my fall as I was plummeting to the ground.

"Saron!" I heard a voice yell, faintly. I turned my head slowly in the direction of the sound as I fell through the air faster and faster. I squinted as a figure slowly came into view. It was Edward, smiling brightly at me. He stood tall a distance away on the field, rejuvenated and no longer drained of life.

I smiled, glad I had saved him. It was the last thing I remembered before I felt my eyes get heavier. They finally closed, unable to hold on any longer. My thoughts faded away as I felt myself sink further, crashing into the ground so hard the floor shook beneath me. I let myself go, giving myself up into the darkness.

Hey, I hope you enjoyed reading Arogen. I will possibly be making a series if this gets enough attention. Feel free to share your opinions on the book - good or bad. I'd love to hear it! Lastly, be sure to vote, comment and share the story to your friends! Thank you for your support. Much love (:

Update : I decided to turn this novel into a series. The second novel, Awakened, is out.