Chapter X

"Yes." I mumbled back, nodding.

"Then you understand no one is to know who you really are? You understand how dangerous that would be?" he asked with an urgent tone.

"Yes, I do." I replied.

Massaging his temples, he paced, deep in thought. I instantly regretted showing my wings. I should have known they would be different. I should have known it would draw suspicion. I scolded myself for not being careful when the Headmaster was risking everything to keep me here.

"Okay, none of the students know that wings like yours are anything special. If anyone asks, you come from a unique bloodline of angels. If anyone gets suspicious, you come to me immediately. Under no circumstances are you to reveal your wings to anyone outside of this class. Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"Okay, you can go back in."

I walked in on edge. To my relief, most of the students were now busy chattering amongst each other and practicing moving their wings to notice me. I moved near the back, further away from everyone before extending my wings once again.

The teacher walked over to the edge of the arena where various weapons were heaped in a stack, selecting a rubber arrow.

"As angels, you have incredible instincts. Even if you are untrained or distracted, your wings will react on instinct to shield your body from any attacks."

He threw the arrow without warning at a boy nearest to him. The boy's wings instinctively came together, forming a powerful shield around him with the arrow bouncing off, falling to the ground.

"Whoaahh" the class said, murmuring to one another in awe.

"Star and Saron, to the front," he ordered, calling us to the front. I retracted my wings, walking towards him.

He walked back over to the heap, grabbing a bow and a few arrows, real this time.

"Saron, I want you to shoot these at Star. Don't hold back. Star, watch carefully. Even if your wings will react to protect you, you should learn to protect yourself if the wings fail."

I nodded, positioning the arrow in the bow unsteadily. I felt a hand straightening my aim and turned to find the instructor beside me.

"This should be second nature for you. Just let your instincts take over." he whispered.

I focused, steadying myself and straightening my aim before aiming for Star's chest, releasing the arrow without warning. Star screamed as the wings closed in around her, saving her at the last minute before my perfect shot pierced her chest. The class clapped, cheering for Star. I continued aiming, releasing perfect shots that were one by one deflected off the wings, leaving Star unharmed. When I was finished, I shot a smile at Star before placing the bow down.

"Who's next?" asked the teacher. A few students volunteered excitedly, to which the teacher readily agreed. Each time, the student was protected by their wings.

"Now, we will practice protecting others." he announced once everyone had their fill of the bow and arrow.

He was met by looks of confusion from us all, myself included. "You." he said pointing at a blonde haired girl with blue wings near me.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Sam."

"Sam, I want you to practice shooting him and him" he said pointing at two boys close by to him.

"One of you will retract your wings and the other will leave yours out. The boy with his wings extended has to protect the one without his wings. Good luck. His life depends on it." he said slapping the back of the boy without his wings as he quivered in fear.