Ready

Time jump - 1 and a half months

(Meredith POV)

I woke up this morning feeling very excited and happy for the first time in a while. "Derek! Wake up! I get to work today!!" I yelled. Derek smiled and sat up. "Let's go then." He said happily as he stood up and pulled me into a hug. I put my head on his chest and sighed in contentment. After a minute, I pulled away and got dressed quickly.

I raced downstairs and guzzled down some coffee. At this point, I couldn't even feel the strain in my stomahx, I was too excited. "Be careful Mer." Derek warned. "Okay." I said. We walked out to our cars and drove off.

(Derek POV)

I'm a little worried about Meredith. She's very excited, and I get that, but I don't want her to overdo it. In the past month, there have been countless nights where she doesn't sleep because of the pain. I'm scared she's gonna try to do too much.

"Bye Mer. Have a good day, and be careful please." I said. She kissed me chastely on the lips. "Bye Derek." She said as she ran off. I went to the nurses station to pick up some charts and was approached by Bailey. "Greys back?" She asked. "Yup." I replied. "Is she okay? To be working?" Bailey asked. "I think so, but I'm afraid that she's gonna overdo it. She was very anxious to get here this morning." I replied. "I'll try to keep an eye on her. I'm sure the chief will too." Bailey said as she walked off.

(Meredith POV)

I walked through the halls confidently. Bailey gave me a little lecture on how to take care of myself and that if I need a break I can take one anytime, but I feel okay right now. I actually have a surgery in 5 minutes. It's an appy, but it's gonna be fun to finally cut again.

I walked into the scrub room and met up with my resident, Dr Pollard. "Dr Pollard." I said formally. "Dr Grey." She replied. I finished scrubbing in and walked into the OR. Before I began my procedure, I looked up at the gallery and saw Derek, smiling proudly. I gave him a wink and began my operation. "Scalpel." I said. The nurse handed me the scalpel and I began.

About 25 minutes in, I could start to feel the strain become more and more painful. It sucked that I wasn't able to stand for more than 30 minutes without pain. I pulled my hands out of the guys abdomen and just rested for a minute. "You okay Dr Grey?" Dr Pollard asked. "I'm okay. Taking a quick break." I assured. She nodded.

After a minute or two, I went back to the surgery and everything went well. I went back to scrub out and saw Derek standing in there. "Good job Mer." He said as he wrapped his arms around me. I hugged him back and winced at how tight he was hugging me. Derek noticed this and pulled away. "Does it hurt?" He asked sypathetically. I nodded. He lifted up my scrub top and it revealed the big pink scar that stretched about 5 inches across my chest/stomach area. He massaged it carefully and I sighed in relief. He did this quite often, as it relieved the pain. "Better?" He asked quietly. I nodded and leaned into his touch. He pulled his hand off my stomach and wrapped his arm around my waist. "How much longer do you have?" He asked. "A few hours. Probably just charting. I need to sit." I replied. He nodded and led me over to a chair.

"I'm off in a few hours too. Take it easy, okay? I have a craniotomy to do right now. Call me if you need me." He said as he gave me a kiss on the forehead and walked off. I smiled and tried to get comfortable on the chair.

"You feeling okay Grey?" Richard asked as him and Bailey came up. "I've been better." I said with a light chuckle. "I saw you took a break. Always do that when the pain gets bad." Bailey said. I nodded. "Grey, get out of here. Go rest. I'll do your charts for you." She said. "Really?" I asked. "Yes. Go." She said. I smile and slowly stood up and hobbled to the locker room to grab my stuff.

I got to the locker room, changed into some regular clothes, and pulled out my ohone to text Derek. "Going to my house. Bailey let me off early. Are u coming over?" I sent. I put my ohone away and went out the door to my car and drove home.

(Derek POV)

I was in the middle of my craniotomy when my phone went off. "Nurse, can you read that for me?" I asked. "It's from Dr Grey. It says "going to my house. Bailey let me off early. Are you coming over?" She said. I smiled under my mask. "Can you tell her that I'll be over around 5?" I asked. She nodded and starting typing away.

An hour later, I closed up and got ready to leave. I grabbed my stuff from my office and head out the door.

I decided to pick us some pizza on the way to her house. I ordered one large pizza, and a calzone to split. I put the food in my car and headed back to Merediths house.

Once I got there, I opened the door and saw Meredith laying on the couch with a heating pad on her stomach. "Hey!" I said. I walked over to her and kissed her before putting the food down. She stood up and walked over to me before wrapping her arms around me. I wrapped my arms around her small frame and buried my nose in her hair, as she rested her head on my chest. "I love you." I blurted randomly. She pulled back slightly and looked at me in awe. "I know we've only known each other for a few months, and it's okay if you don't feel the same way, but I love you. And I-." I said when I was interrupted by her lips crashing down on mine. I deepened the kiss and pushed her up gently on the counter. "I love you too." She said. I smiled and kissed her once more. She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the bedroom, where we shared a night of love.