34 weeks

(Meredith POV)

I started out on the last week of work before I go on maternity leave feeling good. I loved being pregnant, but at this point, I feel like a whale and I'm ready to see our baby boy.

Thatcher was still in the hospital recovering from the transplant he got last week, which meant that molly and Lexie were around everyday. She arrived at the hospital and waddled around to thatchers room. She had gotten to talking to him, but it was still very awkward.

I wasn't allowed to do many surgeries, due to my bulging stomach and the fact that my feet felt like bricks. "Hey!" Derek exclaimed as he walked up to me with a huge smile on his face. "Hi." I replied. Derek wrapped his arms around me and pulled me as close as my 34 week bump would allow.

"How are you?" He asked. "Good. Tired." I replied with a slight yawn. Derek smiled sympathetically, knowing how draining pregnancy could be from his sisters. "I'm meeting up with Lexie and molly today." I said. Derek smiled. "Good. It's good that your trying." He said as he pressed his lips against mine.

"I just want our baby boy to have more family. Especially on my side. I have no one." I said with a sigh. "They will. Lexie and molly will to see our little man." Derek said softly. I nodded. "I gotta go meet up with them. I love you." I replied. "I love you too. Be careful." He said as I ran off.

"Good morning." I said as I entered Thatchers room. "Good morning." Lexie, molly, and thatcher all replied in unison. "Wow Mer, you look like your gonna pop!" Lexie exclaimed happily. "I feel like it." I joked, getting a laugh out of them. "How are you feeling?" I asked thatcher as I thumbed through his chart. "Pretty good." He replied.

I nodded. "Your vitals look really good." I pointed out. "That's good." He said with a smile as he looked at me. I could totally see the resemblance of him and myself, but truthfully, I don't want to be anything like him. We're working on our relationship, but I don't think it'll ever go anywhere.

"Dad, we're gonna get some coffee. We'll be back later." Molly said as she and Lexie stood up. Thatcher nodded and we walked outside of the room and to the cafeteria.

"So Mer, do you and Derek have any names yet?" Molly asked as we sat down with our drinks. "We've called him Bear all pregnancy, so that'll probably be his middle name, but other than that I'm not sure." I said honestly.

"I like the name Blake. That's what Eric and I were going to name molly if she was a boy." Molly replied. "Blake Bear Shepherd?" I asked with a laugh. "Bit of a mouthful." Lexie chuckled. "Maybe Bailey Bear Shepherd?" Molly suggested, even though the name wasn't very appealing to me. "Ooh. Brendon?. I love that name. And Brendon Bear Kinda goes too." Lexie pointed out. "I'll talk to derek tonight." I said.

(Derek POV)

"Where's Grey?" Mark asked as he came up to me. "She's with her sisters." I replied. Mark nodded. "So how are you? We haven't gotten to talk lately." He asked. "Good. Reallt good. How bout you?" I replied with a smile. "I'm alright." Mark said. "When that baby of yours coming?" Mark asked. "A few weeks probably." I replied.

"I have godfather duties, correct?" He asked seriously. "Mer and I haven't really discussed it, but I'm almost 100% sure she'll be fine with that." I said with a chuckle. "Good. Gotta get my priorities in order." He said. "Your gonna be a good dad someday Mark." I said. "I doubt it." He scoffed. "Your gonna be a good dad, Shep. I'll be a great godfather. Mahbe a good father someday." He said. "Thanks." I replied genuinely. He smiled and walked off.

As I was doing some charting, I got a call from my mother. "Mom?" I asked in confusion. "Hi Derek, how are you dear?" Mom asked. "I'm good mom. What's up? What's wrong?" I asked worriedly. "Relax Derek. I'm with the girls and we just wanted to check up on you and Meredith." She replied. "Oh." I said in relief. "Uh, Mer and I are good. Ready for the baby." I replied.

"That's good. What is she, 30 weeks along now?" Amelia asked. "34." I replied. "Wow, that baby will be here before you know it." Mom said with a laugh. "I know. I can't wait." I admitted happily. "The moment you hold your first baby will truly change your life son. Remember that." Mom said honeslty. "I know." I replied softly.

(Meredith POV)

After I chatted with molly and Lexie, I went to thatchers room. He said he wanted to talk to me, so I entered the room.

"Meredith." He said happily. "Hi." I replied. "Sit down please." He requested. I nodded and did so. "I wjust...I-I want to apologize. What I did to you as a kid...it's-it's unforgivable. I'm so sorry." He said truthfully. "Can I ask you a question?" I asked hesitantly, not even knowing if I wanted to know the answer.

"Of course." He replied. "I-why did you leave?" I asked timidly. "Oh Meredith, I-I don't know. I just-I." Thatcher stammered as he met eye contact with me. "I domt know. But I do know that it was the one of the biggest regrets I've ever made in my entire life." He said. Tears came to my eyes and I quickly wiped them away. "I'm so sorry for every time I've hurt you. I'm so sorry." He said as he grabbed my hand lightly. I nodded, holding back tears and hesitantly squeezed his hand back.

That night, I went home with Derek. "What's wrong Mer?" Derek asked as I sniffled in bed. "Can-can you just hold me?" I asked tearfully. Derek, with no hesitation, wrapped his arms around me tightly. "I'm never gonna leave you and Bear. I promise you." He whispered. I smiled sadly at how well he knew me. "Okay." I whispered as I relaxed in his arms and drifted off to sleep.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I thought it was pretty cute at the end especially. Have a good day!!