Chapter Forty: Salaam

Three weeks later

The funeral flock was strange. They wore a myriad of colors from deep red to greens to ivory; none wore black on the exceptionally sunny winter day.

The casket itself was modest, a light wood at odds with the deceased less than ordinary personality. The holy man went through the motions, reading sections of the bible because no one had volunteered to say a few words. For the first time in forever, even Malik was speechless.

Patricia stood between Malik and Sarah in a striped orange and white suit. "A wonderful day for a burial, no?"

Malik didn't glance her way. "He was alive the last time I saw him."

"Hmm," Patricia said. "Pity. Our team couldn't help him. Say if we had certain data...the outcome would've been different.''

Malik feigned ignorance. "Good luck with that. I have to go." He had no intention to linger where he was not needed nor did he want to lose his shit and do something that would get his public scorn. They can toss flowers and dirt or whatever.

Patricia sighed and Sarah gave her a nod and followed her younger brother to the garage. Malik's car had been drenched in blood on that horror of a night, it was still at the shop and since Sarah's car had been unscathed, she offered to give him a ride after the funeral.

"I need to stop at café Flora, yeah?" Malik asked as they headed to town.

"Course," Sarah said. "Nervous?"

Malik scoffed. "Nope."

And he wasn't, nervous that is, he was calm while placing the order and cool as a cucumber while he checked his outfit in the mirror. In a tight muscles shirt and tight pants accentuating his thighs; he was a picture of confidence. Which wavered at the gates of Windsor Park.

"You got this," Sarah said as Malik straighten his back.

"Yeah."

"You want me to wait?"

Malik rolled his eyes. "Hell no. Say hi to Jake." He didn't mention their parents.

Sarah sighed, eerily mimicking Patricia. "Salaam."

"Peace out."

The park was bursting with energy. Joggers, moms, and their kids were running and talking in excited tones. A little girl passed by a band tweaking their guitars and mikes. The lead singer, a slim dude sporting torn jeans and a leather jacket, was ringing do-re-mi when he caught Malik's eye. Malik gave him an encouraging thumbs-up.

For a moment Malik's insides tangled. The park benches were filled and if their bench was occupied...

But he was there. Clad in deep grey and a short mustard coat, blond locks glimmering under sun rays like a halo. The blind dog sat beside his master's ankles boots and alerted him to Malik's approach.

Noah stood and fastened the ocean blue of his eyes on Malik. His rosy lips parted in a perfect O.

He was vibrant, alive.

Alive.

"Hey," Malik said.

"Hello," Noah's voice held a tremor.

The dog barked.

"Hi, Horus. This is for you." Malik crossed the distance and passed Noah the frothy strawberry milkshake he'd stopped to get from the café.

Noah's delicate fingers circled around the cup. "Thank you. Um...do you wanna sit?"

I want to take you in my arms and kiss you senseless. "Sure."