Chapter Thirty Four: Family - Part 1

"He did not seduce me."

Uncle Samir gaped at Malik. "The devil tempts us in many forms."

Malik rubbed his eyes. It had taken a long damn time to get Horus to stop barking and for his god and dog fearing uncle to quit trying to hurl a chair at the dog. If he weren't the landlord, the neighbors would've called the cops.

Malik was sure Mrs. Williams down the hall was dying to know what they had been shouting about in Arabic though.

"There is a lot I keep getting wrong because I'm still figuring out this whole adult sh...thing," Malik said. "But I know being a Christian means to love—"

"A woman," uncle Samir interjected. "To populate the earth."

Malik rolled his eyes. "There are enough starving children. Jesus...was the original rebel. He hung out with hookers and tax collectors. Whatever happened to 'loving the least of those is loving me'?"

Uncle Samir sputtered. "Lot's people and his wife...I am trying to save your soul. Your mother can't bear the loss of another son."

That was when the argument turned into a one-sided futile battle. His uncle knew where to hit and he came in full swing. Malik fell quiet while his uncle relayed the worst-case scenarios. His family disowning him, if he were back in Egypt he'd be behind bars for sodomy, his image would be ruined everywhere he went.

"I wish Rami was here," Malik swallowed. "You remember how we were always scheming?"

The uncle perked up. "Thick as thieves."

Malik nodded. "I told him. About me. We were eating after basketball practice and I told him I was gay. You know what he said? he said he knew and kept shoving fries."

"Rami was corrupted by western ways. God—"

"Made us in his image," Malik said. "I'm still myself, I swear."

For the first time, Malik felt he was truly in Noah's shoes. How often had he seen him struggle with feeling small? How was he able to bounce and keep clamoring back, willing to turn a new leaf?

He remembered how Noah had "confessed" in that very living room to Rami's murder. In a way, Malik felt like he was burrowing Noah's bravery as he stood up to his uncle.

"If you refuse to get help," Samir said. "You leave me no choice but to tell your parents you are dead."

Malik's chest tightened. "There is always a choice. You're my family—"

"Pack your things and leave. You have an hour to get lost."

***

The Jetta was filled to the brim with boxes. Horus took the passenger seat beside Malik, he was eagerly wagging his tail as he understood they were off to see Noah. God knew Malik needed to take him in his arms. He felt like he was going to fall apart any minute and yet...he felt free. He didn't have to hide who he was anymore or put up with fake dating or avoid the arranged prospective wives his parents wanted him to marry. He would speak with his parents, they were good people, surely they would see sense and everything would be...

Malik slammed on the braked as he collided with the blue Citroen in front of him.

He unbuckled the seatbelt and headed towards the hysterical owner of the Citroen. Except for the shock of impact, she was unharmed and she and Malik exchanged insurance numbers. The Jetta had a few scratches and dents and the Citroen had a broken taillight.

When he returned to the Jetta, Horus was missing. Like a madman, Malik scampered up and down the street looking for the blind pup, there was no chance in hell he was going to show up at the motel without him. How was he going to explain to Noah losing Horus in less than a day?

"This your dog?"

A girl in a high ponytail and a black coat and fuchsia stockings stuffed in black boots was fondly petting Horus.

"Yup. Thanks, Liz."

Liz handed the leash to Malik. "I didn't know you liked dogs."

"Yeah..uh. I gotta go."

Liz seemed disappointed at Malik's quick dash. They had never been friends and since the ambush, they spoke less and less.

Malik drove to Motel California. It was a clean, busy place smack in the middle of the city and had decent visitors. They were mainly either college kids visiting families or working guys and gal attending conferences. There weren't many parking slots as a result but Malik got lucky as an impressive black Mercedes Benz left, clearing a big enough spot for Malik's car.

The receptionist handed Malik the spare room key as per Noah's instruction. Horus trotted ahead then the leash slipped from Malik's finger. The dog pushed the ajar door.

"Hey," Malik jogged after him. "Hold up."

To his dismay, Noah wasn't there to greet them. If anything the room sent shivers down Malik's spine. A bed was rumbled and a bedside lamp was turned over. In the minuscule bathroom, Horus whined.

"What is it, buddy?" Malik asked but didn't have to. There were drops of blood on the floor and on the sink.

They raced down the stairs and Malik questioned the receptionist.

"Oh yes, he left," the gray haired woman said. "His father picked him up. Charming man."

"Did he?" Malik's voice was hollow. "Did they say where...where did they...?"

She didn't know and answered the phone to indicate the end of their conversation.

Malik took out his phone and stared at it, he scrolled through the list of his contacts while he paced. He saw Sarah's number and dialed.

He snapped his fingers. "Come on, H."

Putting the phone on speaker, Malik drove at breakneck speed to the art gallery. Sarah wasn't picking up.

After tying Horus' leash to the nearest lamppost, Malik went inside frantically scanning the sparse crown and found the stylish lady he'd met before, the one who dished dirt on Noah's mother, Patricia, and Darius.

"Hi. Do you know how I can reach Mr. Baxter?"

The woman raised eyebrows. "Mr. Baxter is a rather important man. I would assume his secretary would have to secure you an appointment."

"Great. Do you have their number?"

She shook her head and Malik heard a hello coming out of his phone.

"Excuse me a sec," Malik said to the woman. "Sarah, I need to speak to your boss."

"Why would the head of surgery—"

"Cut the bullshit," Malik seethe. "I know you work for Darius. Noah's been kidnapped."

Sarah's reply was a heartbeat late. "I don't know why you believe this would interest Baxter."

Malik scoffed. "I think Darius would give a shit that his son is in the hands of the enemy. Put him on the phone will you, sis?"