Chapter Ten: Langar

Malik.

I'm sorry for this method of communication and for the plan that follows.

Truth is I swore I would turn my back on what I have seen on you. I hoped it would leave me alone but here we are. I understand life isn't always about what I want and I guess I'm okay with it. I also understand the world doesn't give anything for free.

So I shouldn't give out things for free either, right?

What I can offer you is the truth, though not in full. Not at once.

I have no idea who you are, or who you might be associated with. Until I do, here are my terms:

I will give you new information once every week.

I will prove, to the best of my abilities, what I can.

In return, I may need your assistance in certain tight situations. I need to know I can trust you.

If you agree to those terms, meet me tomorrow at Windsor Park. I will be there in time for your jog.

Malik mulled over the unsigned letter as he drove to his apartment. It was written in an elegant scrawl, the type Malik had often seen on Christmas greeting cards. Though Jude had left it unsigned, the questions it raised hung in the air. If anything he found the letter equal parts frustrating and intriguing.

John had caught up with him in the one class they had for the day and they decided to go for the basketball tryouts. It was a walk-in tryout early next week. During the weekend they would have to cram their assignments and get ready to nail a spot on the team. The college was big on sports splashing it on its website. For Malik, it was a way to get his blood pumping the easy way. Winters tended to be harsh and he'd have to be a shut-in if he couldn't go to practice on campus.

He unboxed his stuff and rifled through the articles and clippings he had collected about his brother's murder. He had photographs downloaded from Twitter during parties. The tats were snapped in partial. There was still no sign of any student linked to the tattoos. For all Malik knew, they could be running beside him or they could be alumni.

At his usual jogging time, Malik was eager to see if Jude was full of shit or not.

He ambled to where the fancy art statues were lodged. He scanned the benches and for a moment he thought he'd arrived early until he spotted a pair of ratty converse peeking from under the bench they'd sat on yesterday.

Malik was touched to see Jude had snuggled into the sweater he'd given him. Jude's slim frame was curled into a tight ball, his backpack had been used for a makeshift pillow. His pink lips were parted in his sleep-

Jude's eyes flew open and in a blink he was on his feet, hands clenched into fists. He locked eyes on Malik.

Malik raised his hands in surrender.

"Hey," Malik said.

Malik watched the liquid dreamboat eyes widen then focus.

"You came," Jude said.

Malik lowered his hands. "You thought I wouldn't?'

Jude shrugged.

"I gotta tell you," Malik said. "I got nothing outta this letter, man."

Jude opened his mouth to speak, instead, his stomach emitted a loud growl. There was no denying the sound. It rang clear in the vast park. Malik wanted to pretend he didn't hear it but, well, he did. Jude, hugged himself, shoulders stooping, pale cheeks flaming.