Chapter Fifteen: Linde Sapphire

Noah scratched at his cheeks and smeared more paint on his face.

The Maharani Indian restaurant was amping for a reopening. The new owner, Miss Deepika had been at the temple. Ranveer had asked if there were volunteers willing to assist the miss with painting. A few of the guys had said yes then backed away when they realized the task was not painting walls with a roller but hand-painting the glass panels by hand. Noah promised he'd give it his best. He'd been sleeping less and less the more he worked and the more he had to move sleeping arrangements. Since he craved an activity to keep him occupied, the restaurant was a welcome sanctuary. And Miss Deepika promised him free food, drinks, and cardboards. Cardboards were gems. They kept his clothes clean while he slept and served as an insulator from sleeping rough.

"You sure you don't want to take a break?" Miss Deepika said.

She was a kindly woman who wore traditional saris and large bell earrings. She passed Noah a glass of water.

Noah crouched low on the table he was using for a stool and graciously accepted the glass.

"Bohat bohat shukriya," he thanked her and took a sip. "I'd like to complete the goddess."

"Hmm."

Noah added. "If it's alright?"

"I do feel terrible for not paying you..."

She spoke to him like an equal, showered him with compliments and refreshments. She was already doing too much.

"Please don't. I'm happy to paint. I painted my entire room back home."

"Really?"

Noah nodded. "I had to paint over some stuff because I kept running out of space too."

Miss Deepika's frown eased, "Well. I will have some curry made and naan. You can have as much as you like."

Noah drained his glass then returned to the goddess. Miss Deepika disappeared into the kitchen and soon the restaurant erupted in sizzles and spices.

The goddess Kali, the Hindu goddess of time, creation, and destruction was outlined on the glass panel facing the street. Noah copied from the picture Miss Deepika gave him, four elegant arms and two long legs, with expert strokes. Though non-Hindus found the goddess intimidating, Noah found her peaceful.

After he was satisfied with the outline, Noah began to clad the goddess in copper and gold garments.

The regal features however were still translucent and an intruding familiar face barged beneath it. It was decked out in heavy eye shadow, mascara, screaming red lipstick, and layers of make-up paint Noah couldn't name.

Noah set the easel on the table behind him and the brush in the canister he'd filled with the water. He jumped to the floor and skipped to meet Pink.

Pink pushed passed him from the afternoon cold to the warmth of the restaurant. His shiny, silver heels clicked on the floor.

"I told you I'd meet you at five."

"Bro," Pink huffed, "It's six."

"Oh.'

Continuing to break rules was going to get him killed or worse. The woman who'd given him shelter on his first night on the streets had made him memorize two rules. One; keep your shoes under your head for a pillow if you want to keep them. Two; don't get to know anyone too much. The homeless community for the most part didn't want to be found. Staring at Pink's serpentine frame, Noah felt hollow. Like he had stepped into an ominous lair.

I let slip I was working here, he thought.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

"My IQ drops when I don't sleep," Noah muttered. Last night he'd been chased out of a parking lot.