Chapter Twenty: Before Sunrise

Four o'clock in the morning came and went. Malik checked under the benches for Jude's curled body and found grass underneath. He paced around the faux Mona Lisa sculpture, considered brainstorming for his channel's content or jogging since his partner was obviously running late. Malik was decked out in a skin-tight Nike tracksuit, if he was going to sweat, he was going to sweat in style.

Sweating in style, however, would serve no purpose if no one was around to see. He lounged around his usual route, growing a tad annoyed at Noah for being late. They've successfully avoided each other this past week and yet Malik couldn't wait a moment longer to set the record straight. He was under no obligation to explain himself.

A commotion on the other side of the quiet park piqued Malik's interest, it reeked of trouble and a welcome distraction from uncomfortable thoughts.

At the center of the commotion was a man who wore an outdated grey trench coat, ankle boots, and a deliciously evil expression.

"Come here kitty," said ugly man, "come to daddy."

The kitty in question was a familiar blond boy perched high on a tree, his fine limbs balanced on a thick branch in a sitting position as he glared down at his opponents.

The party of two did not acknowledge Malik's intrusion as he approached.

The ugly man barked. "We could do this the easy way or the hard way."

Malik rolled his eye. He wished for more entertaining witty repartee.

"Uh, fellas?" Malik said.

Ugly shifted his attention from the tree to Malik.

"Is there a problem?" Malik pressed.

"Fuck off." Ugly retorted.

Malik tsked. "No can do. You okay there, Jude?"

Noah said nothing. He sat as still as a leopard on a hunt, eyes trained on Ugly.

"You know this pansy?" Ugly craned his neck and asked Noah.

"Yeah. We're best buds." Malik said.

"Never seen him in my life." Noah retorted.

Ugly curled his lips in a savage smile. "We rough'em up insteada you then."

"I don't know him." Noah raised his voice from up the tree. He didn't look the least bit menacing.

"In a public park?" Malik scoffed.

Ugly stalked towards Malik. His movements were deliberately slow, drawing each step to—

A thud made him halt. Noah landed with grace beside Malik.

"Nice. How do you do this?" Malik asked remembering Noah's descent from a tree the day they met.

"I was on the gymnastics team at school," Noah said.

"Huh," Malik said.

"I think I have to go," Noah whispered.

The thug was waiting.

"Like hell," Malik said.

"I got this." Noah continued to whisper.

Malik shook his head. "You ain't got shit."

Ugly cleared his throat. "We don't got time. Come, boy."

A hiss escaped Noah's lips and his charming features contorted in suppressed anger.

"I'll take him," Malik said. "You run."

With a snap of a twig under Malik's spanking new sneakers, chaos erupted. Malik launched himself at Ugly. The man didn't go down, he stumbled and rallied almost catching caught Malik in the gut because Noah distracted the living hell out of Malik.