Chapter Nineteen: Tweedledum & Tweedledee

The cap, part of the janitor's uniform, possessed social invisibility powers. Noah flitted between students, between doors and chores the days blurred. The minimal occasional nod from Malik in the hallway reminded him of his foolishness. What had possessed him to act like an entitled brat?

He was not anyone's beloved or object of desire, much less Malik's. The facts sent pangs of longing and fired his imagination...no. He damped it down. He had to apologize for his erratic behavior during one of their weekly meetings, which happened to be in a few hours.

He could do this.

The reserved smiles from Liz on the other hand mystified him. She flashed him a smile then as he emerged out of the locker room, free of his uniform and into his street clothes. Today she wore grey leggings in the boots Noah had seen her in before, topped with a knee-length, oversized sweater. She waved at him then crooked her finger.

Noah glanced behind him then back at Liz who nodded. No one seemed to mind them in the crowded hall. Up close, Liz's fuzzy sweater had the texture of a teddy bear. Noah resisted the urge to run his fingers over it to test the theory.

"Hey,' She said.

"Hi."

"Um. I was going to go do some shopping and was wondering if you wanted to come along? It would be nice to have some company and...yeah..uh...wanna tag along?' Liz said in record speed.

Noah cocked his head to the side. Why would she want to hang out with him?

Noah had an image of himself being stripped down to his boxers. His clothes no longer there to keep him decent. Carmen and Jelani hooting with laughter.

Retard.

Spaz.

Rat.

"Did Jelani put you up to this?"

Liz scrunched her brows, "Who?"

"Never mind," Noah muttered, "I can't. Plans."

Liz sighed, "I knew this wasn't going to work."

Noah's heart sank. This was a prank after all. For the past weeks Noah had tried to get his coworkers to warm up to him. He spoke French to Jelani and Spanish to Carmen which served to irk them further. Carmen said he was flaunting white privilege. Apparently there had been a hideous skirmish between the residents Mid City. The news coverage had snapped photos of banners screeching No immigrants, White Lives Matter and Get Out. Appealing to Jelani ended in a sneer and telling Noah to stay away from his girl. Entertaining a friendship was foolish but couldn't they at least co-exist?

"Alright," Liz snapped him from his reverie, "I was supposed to be subtle and make up a story so you don't feel awkward."

He didn't feel awkward, he was awkwardness personified.

"Diane put me up to this. She said you looked like you were going through something," Liz spread her palms," I could spend months shopping. You need to shop..."

Since the horrid clash with Malik he'd been floating in and out of reality, often neglecting basic acts to pass for a normal human being. The other morning Mrs. Forester caught him barefoot again.

What happened to your shoes Mr. Davis?

Mr. Davis, are you aware the campus is not a Laundromat?

Where do you think you're going, Mr. Davis? Today is a national holiday.

"What do ya say?" Liz said, fumbling with the ends of her ponytail.