Chapter 2: Asgard princess

I sat in shock at my father's revelation

I sat in shock at my father's revelation. Part of me couldn't believe what he had just said but another part of me knew all along. My ice powers, him never talking about his family, the little joke about the Norse myths being our heritage, all of it started to fall in to place. This is why I always felt different, I was different, just in a way that was unexpected. When I didn't say anything, my father continued his story.

"I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to see Odin waiting at the Bifrost with Heimdall. His eye that wasn't covered by an eye patch was burning with anger. By his side were his two sons Thor and Loki, both armed and ready for a fight. Thor looked at me the same as his father did, the disappointment clear on his face. But Loki, he looked happy to see me. I always got along better with Loki; he was always pushed aside by his father in favour for Thor. The same thing had happened with Odin and I with our father. The son that was destined to rule was always favoured, so I always went out of my way to include Loki from the time he was a child. I never understood why, but Odin would often look at his younger son with disgust. Because of this I would take Loki out as a child and showed him how to use his magic, something Odin never did."

"But Frigga, even though she loved her sons equally, she always had a soft spot for her younger son. It was with her love that he stood before me as an intelligent young man with a mind of his own. With a slight smile and a nod of his head, I knew that Loki had understood why I had left."

"Without a single word to me, Odin turned and started to walk towards the golden palace gleaming in the distance. I knew that I had to follow him without a question, so I did. I had walked the path to the palace more times than I could count but on that day the walk seemed to go on for ever. Not a single word was spoken on the trip back and as we walked through the village the people parted in shock. The wayward son had finally returned home to face the consequences of his actions. I could hear the whispers of the people as we left them in our wake. When we reached the palace Frigga was waiting to welcome me home with a warm smile and a hug. I always saw her as an older sister and in return she had always looked out for me ever since we were children."

"It was a long night explaining everything to my family with a lot of yelling on Odin's part. He could not understand how I could have fallen in love with a Midgardian. How his own brother could let Asgard down in such a way. Thor was yelling, supporting his fathers every word. Loki remind silent, judging by the look on his face, not trusting himself to say a word to his father. Frigga was the only voice of reason, pointing out you could not help who you fell in love with."

"After five hours of heated discussion it was clear Loki was over his father's views. He stood up and slammed his hands down on the table in front of him. He proceeded to yell at his father for ten minutes, telling him that he was an old fool who didn't understand a thing and that if he would stop worshipping the ground that Thor walked on, he would clearly see that the people around him were not happy. By the time he was done, the normally cool and composed Loki was red in the face and out of breath. Odin's gaze turned to ice as he turned towards his younger son. He didn't say a word as he crossed the room towards Loki, stopping so that he was standing toe to toe with Loki. He proceeded to back hand his son so hard he sent Loki flying across the room in to a wall."

"That was enough for Frigga who flew across the room to help her younger son up, who already had a large bruise forming on his cheek. Turning towards her husband, the normal calm Frigga yelled at Odin to sit down and listen. Frigga was never one to yell, so when she did everyone listened. For the next two hours she proceeded to tell everyone that she had known where I had gone and had kept an eye on me over the year with her own special kind of magic. That the woman that I had fallen in love with as well as her family were wonderful and kind people. How I was happy when I was with her and how I had the right to be happy. The sun was starting to light the room by the time she had finished."

"It seemed like an eternity before anyone spoke, but when Odin did the deal was made. I would be allowed to leave Asgard and marry the woman for Midgard. But Odin made sure that there were conditions, I was to be stripped of all my powers and would live as a mortal just like the woman I had fallen in love with. All mentions of me would be wiped from any records, including the Midgard myths. Only one monument from the old days would remain, hidden deep within the Fjords. Only myself and one other would be able to read the runes written on the stone. The person who would be able to read the runes would be of my blood line and they and they alone would inherit my powers. With that Odin sent me to the Bifrost and banished me to Midgard for the rest of my days."

"To this day I have never regretted my decision, I love your mother more than life itself. But I never imagined that it would be my first-born child who would inherit my powers but I am so proud that it was you that was deemed worthy Kimberly. I have never met someone who has a bigger heart than you and I know that you will do what is right with powers that I have been given to you. But these powers also make you a princess of Asgard."