Chapter 41: Back to where it all started

After Steve's death, I didn't leave my room for a week

After Steve's death, I didn't leave my room for a week. No matter how much Peggy, Howard and even Loki and my father tried, I wouldn't leave. The room itself had become a constant winter, snow covered every surface and I didn't even try to stop it. I couldn't feel the cold, so it didn't bother me. It was a fitting display of how I felt inside, cold and deserted. I couldn't sleep because every time I closed my eyes, all I saw was Steve going down in that damned plane. If only I could have gone back and killed Schmidt while I had the chance, but I couldn't. With the tesseract lost, there was no way of going back. I was stuck living a in a constant reminder of everything that I had lost. The only good thing in my life was little Elsa and I had to be strong for her. I just needed time to deal with everything.

On the eighth day of my self-imposed isolation, Loki came storming in to my room. He was completely unbothered by the layered of ice and snow that had built up and walked over to where I was sitting.

"Lillesøster*, you are coming out of this room today whether you like it or not. Rogers wouldn't want you to still in this room in the middle of a constant blizzard. He would want you to come out and celebrate."

"Celebrate what Loki? The loss of all the people I loved," I asked bitterly.

"No kjære kusine*, it the end of the war. What are they calling it, oh that's right. VE Day."

I must have lost track of what the date was while I was in my ice cave, I knew the VE Day was soon. I just didn't realise how soon it was.

"Fine, I'll leave the room. Only because I promised Steve that I would," I told Loki as I stood up, brushing the snow off my hair.

"You might want to stop the eternal winter going on in the room, people may start to question it. Now get dressed, I'll be waiting just outside."

With a wave of my hand all the snow and ice disappeared from my room, not even leaving a single sign that it had even been there to begin with. After I quick knock on the door and a reminder from Loki to hurry up, I got changed and left my room for what felt like the first time in forever. Holding his arm out for me, Loki led me out of the headquarters and down to the pub where everyone was celebrating. Everyone but one group of men.

 Everyone but one group of men