Chapter 7 - Gliph

Rey, Finn, Chewbacca and the droids got back into the ship and traveled to another city on Jakku. Again, Rey had no memory of this place. They made their way to an unkept graveyard, and to a wooden sign embedded just out of the ground, which read "Lieeth and Vandar".

Rey stopped to take in the magnitude of the moment. She had wanted so long to find her parents, or for them to find her. And her wishes finally came true, but not in the way she wanted. Ben was right, they were dead, and they had sold her.

For a few minutes, nobody, not even the emotionless droids made a sound.

"Thanks mom and dad, for bringing me into this world, and I guess that's all."

Rey wiped a tear from her eyes, and waited a few minutes more. Chewbacca approached and put his large arm out to envelop Rey, and said something like "rawwwrr" softly. Rey looked up at Chewbacca and said, "I am glad I have you too Chewie." She slowly turned with her back to her parent's graves, "We have a job to do, let's go."

Finn cautiously spoke, "Where are we going, Rey?"

"We are going back to Porus, I don't feel we are done there."

The trip back was quiet. No one wanted to interrupt Rey.

When they reached the city Porus, at the mouth of the ship, Rey sat down to meditate.

"Finn, calm your mind and listen to the Force" said Rey, "let it guide us."

Finn said, "You go ahead, I've never felt the Force, I don't think that works for regular people like me, besides it didn't help us earlier."

"Patience, Finn" said Rey softly.

After a few moments, they all headed towards the trade merchants. There were all kinds of people here, disheveled humans and aliens hawking produce, animals, furniture and even droids. There were a few First Order storm troopers scattered around, keeping watch. Rey and Finn raised the hoods on their cloaks.

Finn spotted a storm trooper alone, in a corner of a corridor.

"Guys, you know how I was a storm trooper, I left, I know there are lots of troopers who want to leave. I want to capture one and see if he can maybe join us. Chewie and BB-8, come with me."

"Finn, wait!" said Rey, "patience!"

Finn and Chewie walked casually by the storm trooper, to a dark opening in a side alleyway behind them. BB-8 waited, and then rolled up and bumped the trooper and ran off behind him to the opening. A "Rrraawwwrrr" and thumping was heard. Rey and the other droids quickly ran to see what had happened.

When they arrived, Rey found a trooper with his helmet off, dazed and confused from being knocked around by a large, furry, muscular creature. He was young, his skin was light brown, and his hair was blond and shaven close to his head. Finn was standing over him.

"Hi, my name is Finn, we are not going to hurt you. I was once like you, part of the First Order machine. I would have escaped earlier if I had the chance, but I finally found a way out. I am giving you the chance, we can hide you, protect you, give you a new life. We have clothes for you, all you have to do is follow us."

"I...can't...I don't know who you are, you are crazy, the First Order will be looking for me!"

Finn continued, "Listen I know this is sudden, but if you want to get out, this is your chance, a new, better life, a free life. What is your name?"

"HB-4048, that's my name."

"Alright I'm calling you Hob. Are you willing to go with us?"

Hob paused for a long minute and said, "Ok, yes..I guess...yes I will."

Finn smiled and looked at Rey, and she gave a trepidatious look back. They got him out of his uniform and dressed him in a cloak, and proceeded to casually leave. They traveled down a long stretch of merchants, there were no First Order troopers within sight, and no signs that they were on alert. Finn was trying to talk to the trooper, to make him more comfortable.

Rey paused, "Finn, I'm glad about Hob, but we are here for another reason. I know you don't believe the Force can inspire you, but I want you to try, try it for me."

Finn, suddenly giddy with his recent success, was more compliant than he would have been otherwise.

"Ok Rey, I'm not sure about this, but for you, I'll try." Finn closed his eyes and tried to focus on his feelings. After a few moments he opened his eyes and said "This way."

Finn lead them to a well dressed alien creature who was standing behind a merchant table. She appeared to be selling precious jewels and of the race Aki-Aki. She was tall and wearing a yellow cloak. She had protruding eyes and two long tentacles that came down from the front of her face.

As they approached, Gliph spoke. "Hello travelers, would you be interested in some rare Pasaana gold jewelry?"

Rey spoke first. "Thank you, but no, this is going to sound strange, but we are from a different city, we are looking for something, someone, very rare and special."

Gliph looked deep into Rey's eyes, "Who is this person, and why do you want to find them?"

"Not one specific person, more about a type of person. We mean no harm to anyone", said Rey.

Gliph paused before speaking, "No, I believe you won't." She outstretched her hands, and bowed. "I am called Gliph." She raised herself up and brought her arms inward. "I can read your heart." She looked left and right. "This talent is very useful in my business, and helps me avoid danger." She looked back at Rey. "But today, I sense your heart to be pure."

Rey turned to Finn and Chewie, then back to Gliph and explained who they were looking for.

Gliph looked around to see if anyone else was listening. "I know a slave owner named Lat Poor, who brags his slave can move things with its mind. He will sell for great profit at the annual slave auction on the planet Zygerria, tomorrow. Slave traders come from across the galaxy for this event. I do not know what the slave looks like. Lat Poor is a Kyuzo, he has green skin and a wide green circle hat. He has many credits and his clothes show his Jakku wealth. If you go, you must hurry."

Rey smiled, looked at the others and back at Gliph. "Thank you very much, you have been a great help, and you are a wonderful person. Is there anything we can do for you?"

Gliph smiled and said, "Keep your heart pure".

As the group began to depart, Gliph pulled Finn aside and whispered something in his ear.

Finn was taken aback, "Thank you miss Gliph-er, he will be. Thank you again for your help."