Chapter 12 - Attack

Leia found Rey practicing her Jedi training alone. She was practicing punching and kicking, unusually violently. She was out of breath but kept going. Leia approached and stood in the corner of the room.

Rey saw Leia come in the room and ignored her for a minute. "Leia, I saw a vision of the Resistance dying, everybody was massacred, I won't let that happen! There has to be some way to stop this. What about the Force are you not telling me!?!"

"Rey, there is nothing the dark..."

"I don't believe you, there has to be a reason why the dark side keeps winning. I need to become more powerful, it's the only way to save everybody!"

"Rey, there is nothing the dark side can do which the light side cannot," said Leia softly.

"I DON'T BELIEVE YOU." said Rey, nearly shouting and looking Leia right in the eyes.

"Rey, you need to stop this. This is how my son turned into the monster he is now. Follow the training, follow the Force, do your best and we will win," said Leia with a raised voice.

Leia continued "For now, the kids need you. Go talk to them. I hear you didn't say a word to them the whole trip back."

Rey's shoulders dropped and the anger in her demeanor started to dissipate.

Rey found the kids in a room nearby. "Hello kids, I am Rey, sorry I was not talkative before."

"Are you a Jedi?" said Haita.

"Yes I am. You are free now. We are not masters over you."

The two kids looked at each other and smiled. "We have been slaves for so long," said Temiri.

Temiri said "The last man was really mean, he was going to make us eat gross Sith food. What are we going to do now? Do you know Luke Skywalker? Are you going to train us as Jedi? Who is going to take care of us? Can we eat anything we want? I think the dark man likes you..."

"Whoa slow down kids, what are your names?" said Rey.

"I am Temiri. I lived on Canto Bight in the stables for the races. I don't know my real parents. Lat Poor bought me and Haita and then sold us."

"I am Haita, I lived on Ryloth until my parents were killed and I was sold to Lat Poor".

Rey said "I am sorry, your lives must have been hard. I know a little something about that. I was abandoned by my parents when I was younger than you."

"Sometimes when we were with Lat Poor we would float Juna worms into his soup and he would eat them," said Haita. The kids looked at each other and smiled.

"When I was in the stables once I told a fathier to kick my master in the butt," said Temiri, and the kids giggled again.

Rose Tico came into the room. Temiri looked at her and his face lit up. "I remember you! You are from the Resistance!"

Rose's mouth opened in astonishment. "Yyyeees, that was me, HI! Yes we are the Resistance, and we are going to win!"

"And I was trained by Luke Skywalker, I hope to teach you the ways of the Force, but with kindness instead of fear," said Rey.

The kids looked at each other and smiled.

Rose said "Is it OK if I take the kids on a tour of the ship?"

"Sure Rose, that would be great," said Rey.

"Hold on, Rose, I have an idea," said Rey.

Rey left the room and came back with something behind her back.