Chapter 16 - The End

Rey and Ben looked out the hangar into space. They saw dozens of ships flying by, turning diving, and firing at First Order ships and on the Star Destroyer they were on.

Finn, seeing what was happening, got on his communicator, "3PO! Tell the Resistance not to shoot this ship! And we need more troops here!"

"Oh my, yes sir, right away!" said C-3PO.

Outside the Star Destroyer, a great battle was taking place in space. Dozens of ships of all kinds were firing on the tie fighters. The primary Resistance cruiser was back and attempting to pull in disabled Resistance ships.

In a moment, three small Resistance ships made their way into the hangar and fighters exited to join the fight.

Rey was holding Ben's hand. His face was white, and his movements were slow. "No, no no! Hold on Ben!"

"I was wrong, so wrong, Rey, I'm sorry," said Ben Solo.

Rey lifted Ben enough to embrace him. "I know I know, Ben, you need to fight..."

Despite the fighting and chaos around them, Rey and Ben barely noticed. They said nothing.

Rey heard her communicator make a noise. It was Poe. "Rey, are you alright? Where are you?"

"Poe? You are OK? I need a medic, Ben is injured!"

"Ben who?" said Poe.

"Ben Solo! We are on the main Star Destroyer, send all your troops here, the First Order leaders are here!".

"You want us to rescue Kylo Ren?" said Poe.

"Just send a medic!" said Rey. "And troops!"

In a moment, more troops arrived. These troops were more disheveled, no uniforms, people and creatures of many different species.

Suddenly Ben went limp.

"Ben! No, Ben!" said Rey.

Rey held Ben Solo. For an entire minute, Rey held Ben, but felt no movement or breath from him.

Then she listed to his chest. His heart was still beating. She listened to his breath, he was breathing very faintly.

After several moments, the battle was over. The Resistance had won.

Ben was taken to a Resistance medic center. Rey went with him.

Poe found Finn in the hangar. "Finn! You are OK! That's great!"

"We thought you were dead!" said Finn.

"Well, I almost was!"

They both looked at the scene in the hangar. Leia, Hux, two Knights of Ren, and several fighters from both sides were dead. The twelve First Order leaders were huddled on the ground next to several stormtroopers, being guarded by Resistance fighters.

"What a scene. What do we do now?" said Poe.

"You are the leader of the Resistance, you'll figure it out," said Finn. "But hold on, I have something I want to do."

Finn made his way to a large stack of shipping containers. He climbed up to the top and yelled out.

"The battle is over. The Resistance has won. We do not want to fight any longer. I was once a storm trooper like you. I left so I wouldn't be part of the atrocities of the First Order. You don't have to be troopers anymore. You can be free for the first time in your life. I can help you. Take off your masks and join me!"

All the storm troopers in the room looked around at each other and back at Finn. After about 30 seconds, a solitary stormtrooper took his helmet off. Then another. Then three more. Then seven more.

Finn smiled.

**************************************

A few days later, on the main Resistance cruiser, C-3PO approached Poe. "General Poe, how is R2-D2?"

"I believe they found a motivator chip and they are installing it now," said Poe.

"May I go see him?" said C-3PO?

"Sure, 3PO".

Poe and C-3PO made their way to the technicians. R2-D2 was alive and well.

"R2-D2, I am sorry for being, well, rude to you for so long. I am terribly sorry."

R2-D2 beeped and whirred.

"I'm glad to have my friend back, too." said C-3PO.

Rey approached Ben. He was healing, but still in bed.

Ben got out of his bed in the infirmary and stood. He had to steady himself as he rose.

"Thank you for saving me," said Ben Solo.

"Thank you for turning to the good side, and actually staying this time." said Rey with a smile.

Rey and Ben embraced, their faces close, smiling.

"I want to talk to your leaders," said Ben.

"Are you sure you are healed enough?" said Rey.

"Just bring me to them," said Ben.

Rey and Ben walked to the bridge of the ship. Poe, Rose, Lieutenant Connix, Finn, the kids, and another friendly face were there.

"Miss Gliph! said Finn. "You are here!"

"Yes my dear, I am. Many of us heard the Resistance message sent across the galaxy and flew to help. That girl over there, Rose, delivered the message." Gliph pointed at Rose across the room. "She is a nice girl, with a kind heart."

"Yes, she does have a good heart," said Finn. "a very good heart."

Finn smiled at Rose across the room. Rose smiled back.

Ben Solo entered the room. The room became quiet and everyone looked at Ben.

"Hello. I know you know who I am, and I am sure you do not trust me, and I understand," said Ben. "But I intend show you by my actions. I can show you how to transfer First Order funds into your account. I can show you where to attack to further take down remaining remnants of the First Order."

"And I will personally go and destroy the First Order on my own. I will dedicate my life to wiping them out of the galaxy," said Ben.

"Hold on, he's done a lot of terrible stuff, we can't just let him go, right? Shouldn't he pay for his crimes?!" said Finn.

Several people in the room started mumbling and talking quietly.

"I'm not going to let you, trooper!" said Ben, and he pointed right at Finn. He stumbled as he turned, still not healed from his injuries.

Gliph walked forward one pace. "I know he's done terrible things, but I feel his heart now is in the right place."

"I'm going to end the First Order, and them I'm going to some corner of some far away planet and live out my life."

Ben then turned to look at Rey in the eyes, "Come find me."

*******************************************

Later, Rey approached the kids Temiri and Haita. "Kids, I know I said I will train you, but more important than that I think you need a real mom. Now there are many good, experienced moms in the Resistance. Can we find you one?"

The kids looked at each other.

"We would like it if you could take care of us, be our mom."

Rey smiled. "Well...I was secretly hoping you'd say that."

Rey and the children embraced for an entire minute.

"So, what is your favorite color? I think I owe you two a lightsaber." said Rey.

"Not red!" said Haita.

Rey, Temiri & Haita laughed and looked at the stars through the window of the ship.

Peace had once again been restored to the galaxy.