Chapter 10 - Connection

The Falcon rendezvoused with the Resistance fleet. In the primary cruiser, Rey found a secluded corner of the ship to be alone. She did not want to be around all the somber people on the ship, reminding her of her failures every moment.

"How could I have let Chewbacca die? How could I lose the kids? If I was powerful enough, this would not have happened" Rey thought to herself. "Every mission now I am losing someone...what am I doing?" She sat down with her knees at her chest and just cried.

Leia knew of Rey's pain and looked and looked around the ship for Rey. After a lengthy search, she found her, all alone.

"Hi Rey. I see you found my secret spot to be alone." said Leia in a soft tone. Leia sat down next to Rey and put her arm around her. Rey didn't say anything, she just softly continued sobbing.

"Just let it out, Rey". Rey curled up in Leia's chest.

After a few minutes. Leia looked at Rey in the eyes. "Rey, this is not your fault. It is the fault of the woman who struck Chewie. It was her decision, not yours. You should only feel guilty if you chose to harm Chewie. Losses happen to everyone, even my brother, the Jedi Master, as you know."

"Let's get something to eat, c'mon" said Leia. "Take a break today, we can train tomorrow." Rey and Leia left the room.

R2-D2 and C-3PO wandered over to Rey and Leia. R2 started beeping and whirring.

"What is it R2?" said Rey.

R2-D2 pulled out an oval rock from his storage compartment. C-3PO spoke up. "He found this..." C-3PO's head started smoking, he lowered it and his speech stopped.

"3-PO...what's wrong, what's the matter, are you OK?" said Rey.

After several seconds C-3PO started speaking again. "I am sorry, my motivator chip is malfunctioning. After the accident, this happens to me sometimes."

"3PO, have you visited the technicians?" said Leia.

"I will, General. I am sorry I have not visited them sooner, I have been negligent in my maintenance. As I was saying...this droid picked up an interesting rock at the auction. I saw it fall from the ramp of Kylo Ren's ship."

R2-D2 handed the rock to Rey. Rey touched the rock and felt something strong. "This rock contains Force energy!"

"According to my databanks, this may be a 'Force Holocron'. I wonder why it was in Kylo's ship?"

Leia said in astonishment, "Do you sense something?"

Rey touched it again and tried to concentrate for several seconds. "No, I see nothing, I guess I'm not worthy!" and slammed the rock down on the table. After a moment Rey looked up and smirked. "You know what? Now I know how Luke could become so grumpy. I'm sorry."

Finn found Rey sitting with Leia. "Hey Rey, how are you doing?" said Finn.

"I have been better but I am OK" said Rey. "Did you ever find Hob? You know I think maybe he wasn't as converted as you think. He probably told the First Order we were there."

"I can't believe that. He was just like me, he knew the First Order was evil, someone must have captured him and forced him for information" said Finn.

"If he wanted to be with us, he would have come looking for us." said Rey.

"You know, miss Gliph whispered something to me as we left her, but I didn't want to hear it. She sensed his heart wasn't right. I thought I could change him. I guess I was wrong." Finn's gaze dropped a little towards the ground.

"Not everybody is ready to change for the good, change is uncomfortable. Which makes you special Finn. You were the braver one." said Leia.

*******************

C-3PO walked over to the droid technicians. "Excuse me sir, my motivator chip is malfunctioning again. It has been overheating and short circuiting. Can you look at it?"

"Sure 3PO I will, but we don't have an extra chip anywhere on the ship. We will look for one but until then I can't help you."

"Oh my, well I may not be of much good to anyone. I hope I you can find one soon", said C-3PO.

*******************

Rose approached Rey very excited. Her hands were behind her back. "Oooooh Rey, I have something good for you! One of Poe's old contacts found me more kyber crystals!"

"OK...but I already have a lightsaber Rose." said Rey.

"Yes, well, I was reading your Jedi texts and I made you a better one! You know how you like staffs right?" Rose brought a long saber shaft out from behind her back. "Here!"

Rey took the saber from Rose, it had a shaft over twice as long as her old lightsaber. It had two openings on each end. She flicked the trigger. Out came two off-white/tan beams of light from each end. It was a double bladed light saber. Rey's eyes got bigger, and smiled.

"Rose, I think I love you" said Rey. Rose giggled and jumped up a little. Rose looked at Finn and he looked away initially, then seemed to realize his appearance and brought his gaze back.

"Leia, maybe we should do some training today?"

********************

The following night, Rey was about to lay down to fall asleep for the night. From behind her she heard a familiar voice, "Hello Rey." She turned to see Kylo Ren/Ben Solo standing behind her.

"Oh, it's you." said Rey. "So how is your evil empire going? How many people did you murder before lunch today?"

"They all deserved it" said the image of Kylo Ren. It appears even after I killed Snoke, we still have this connection. Interesting."

"I believe I have something of yours. Two...children."

"You have the kids? Where are they! If you hurt them..." said Rey.

"They will serve me well. I will train them in the ways of the Force. Two little Sith to do my bidding." said Kylo Ren.

Rey gave a death stare at Kylo. "Hey I might have something of yours." She reached to grab a pouch at the end of her bed. "Does this look familiar?" She showed him the Force holocron, but did not touch it.

"You have my holocron?" said Kylo. "Even more interesting. I propose an exchange. These annoying kids listen less than General Hux. I want my holocron back. The day after tomorrow at sunset, meet me at the ancient cave on Mustafar. You will find me there. Come alone."

"I don't know where that is" said Rey.

"It's below my grandfather's castle. You will find me. Bring the holocron. No surprises."

"Fine." said Rey.

"Fine." said Kylo.

And Kylo Ren disappeared.