22 ≫ squirrels in my pants

Start from the beginning

"Um, okay. Let's get this bullet outta me!" Eliza said enthusiastically. Bruce shook his head in disbelief.

"Alright someone needs to guard the door, I would suggest Cap doing that-"

"What about Peter?" Eliza asked.

"What about him," Bruce sighed.

"Can he come in here?"

"No, the only people aloud in this room during the procedure are you four." he said, gesturing to the group.

Eliza started to panic a little, but only internally. She calmed down when she saw a hand waving outside of the hospital window. There stood Peter, waving like a maniac, trying to get her attention. She smiled a little and he grinned back.

She exhaled and turned back to the other four, more relaxed knowing that her best friend was right outside to watch over her.

Steve got into position outside the door while the rest of the Avengers suited up, getting ready to fight what was on its way.

Bruce put the sharp point of the needle into her forearm's vain, inserting the anesthesia. She started to count back from 15 in her head, and Peter watched outside the room through the window. 

Eliza passed out and her breathing became more even. Dr. Cho started to get her tools ready to start the procedure, and Bruce left the room to watch next to Peter. Loki walked over, sat in the chair next to her, and used his telekinesis powers to go into her brain. With the amount of anxiety Eliza experienced, it was necessary to ensure that she was doing okay.

While Wanda and Dr. Cho worked on extracting the bullet, Loki was working on manipulating her brain. What Loki was seeing was also projected onto a monitor, used as a precautionary measure to make sure he wasn't doing anything he wasn't supposed to. Personally, he though it was a violation of this young girls privacy, but nobody else cared.

The operation was going well, until Eliza's body started to shake violently.

"What's happening?" Dr. Cho yelled, trying to figure out what to do.

"Sh-she's going into a d-dark place," Loki said, trying to keep her under control.

On the monitor, it showed Eliza's brain, and what she was thinking about. It was showing memories. Her eyes were moving underneath her eyelids, signaling that she was dreaming, and this was the dream.

Peter, Bruce, and Steve watched the monitor with horror on their faces. They hadn't known that this was the thing keeping her from sleeping, and causing her depression. Eliza however was deep under the anesthesia, and just thought this was a normal day.

She was experiencing her mom dying again, right in front of her eyes. Her body was laying on the floor, a bullet hole with a red liquid trail down the side of her temple. She ran towards her, but then fell down into the dark pit. Inside of the pit was a mirror, showing Spiderwoman's mask, half torn, revealing her own frightened face.

Crack.

She punched the mirror with her fist, making a crack right down her reflection.

She jolted awake, with tears running down her face. She rubbed her eyes and ran a hand through her hair. Next she got up and went to the kitchen, to make herself some coffee.

She sighed and leaned against the counter, next to the refrigerator. Taking a sip of her coffee, she turned around and put it back down, putting two hands against the counter to stretch. She looked back up and saw the knife block.

She reached out for one of them and debated for a minute, holding it in her hand and just staring.

Loki could read her thoughts, and they were not good. Wanda gasped.