Chapter 18

The night went on and on, and I lost count of how many people I had met. I did remember the look on one demon's face as he was escorted out of the castle for lying to Lisa. His glare was cold, and it had stuck with me for the past couple of hours.

Now, there was a lady standing before me with a pleasant smile on her face, just as most of the others had had before her. She was chatting with Lisa about how much she loved her kingdom and wanted what was best for it, when I suddenly felt myself becoming faint. I reached out an arm. "Sebastian."

Lisa and the woman had stopped their talk of politics. "My Lady, are you alright?" the stranger asked, her concern sounding genuine.

Sebastian was beside me, holding my hand. "What is it, My Love? A vision?"

I gave a slight nod, resting my head on the back of the chair. He cupped my cheek, smiling. "Alright then, I have you."

I gave a weak smile back and closed my eyes.

As soon as my vision darkened, however, it lit right back up again.

The ball was in full swing, everyone was chatting away, Lisa and Sebastian were still beside me, and Evan was leaning on a wall, clearly on guard. I felt a pang of guilt that the guards weren't able to enjoy themselves, but it was their job to keep everyone safe. I hoped they weren't feeling left out.

I quickly shook off the feeling as I watched Sarah and Jasmine approach me. They were smiling brightly, then seemed to convince Lisa and Sebastian to give me a break so they could have fun with me. I was about to stand when I heard a shout and shattering glass. It was then my vision darkened again.

Slowly, I pulled myself from the darkness and lifted my head, opening my eyes as I did so. I saw Sebastian smiling at me, and noticed his hand was still on my cheek. I covered his with mine and leaned into the touch.

"Well?" he asked.

"I didn't see much," I told him, my voice low. "All I saw was Jasmine and Sarah, and then someone yelled and I think a window broke. Something is going to happen in a couple of hours."

Sebastian nodded. "I shall inform the guards. Do you need a break to rest?"

I shook my head. "I'm alright. I don't get tired anymore from my visions, especially the small ones."

His smile grew. "I'm very glad to hear that." He then pulled away from me as he stood. "I will go tell the guards what you told me. You and Lisa may continue speaking to people if you wish. I will return shortly."

I nodded and watched as he left to join the crowd of people.

Lisa placed a hand on my shoulder. "Are you ready for the next guest, dear?"

I looked over to her, then faced forward. "What about the woman who was just here?"

"She was genuine in all her words, and left to not disturb you. The next person is waiting, if you're ready."

I turned my face to the crowd of people in the ballroom. Some were dancing, but most were mingling with other demons and enjoying the atmosphere. I quickly spotted Sebastian speaking to Evan, who then nodded and walked away as Sebastian started toward the next guard.

I faced Lisa again and nodded. "Yes, I'm ready."

*

Time went by slowly, and with each passing minute, I grew more and more anxious about what I'd foreseen. Sebastian returned to my side after telling all of the guards of what was to come, and he would give me a reassuring smile every time I looked at him. Seeing him beside me helped to ease my nerves, but I found I still wasn't really able to concentrate on the demons I was meeting.

After a couple of hours, I decided I wanted a break from the introductions. Lisa informed the line of people, and Sebastian knelt beside me.

"How are you holding up?" he asked.

I knew he could see the nerves I was trying to hide. "Worse by the second. It could happen any time now."

His expression grew grim. "Did you see any precursors to the event?"

I tried to think back on my vision, which had slowly begun to fade. "Jasmine and Sarah come to see me right before it happens."

"Then you should try not to worry about anything until that happens." He then leaned in close and whispered, "And should anything happen to you, your swords are behind your chair."

I felt relief wash over me at that. Sure, I had demon powers now, but I still wasn't entirely in control of them. My swords were familiar. I knew I could protect myself with them beside me.

He stood, smiling at how I'd clearly relaxed. "This ball is not just for the others, you know. You should try to have some fun as well."

I looked down at the beautiful ball gown that had been made just for me. I was so grateful for the lady taking the time to do so, and it was a bit of a shame that I wasn't really able to show it off from just sitting in a chair.

I stood, then, wanting to stretch my legs while I had a break to do so. Sebastian watched me, smiling, then moved to stand in front of me and offered his hand. I watched for a moment, confused.

As he continued to smile at me, he asked, "My Love, may I have this dance?"