Chapter 25

We sat in the room for several hours. After Sebastian finished explaining to me the paperwork and stuff he'd been working on, he went back to it, and I sat silently in my chair, content that I wasn't alone. He would look up from his work and smile at me every so often, and if I was ever bored, I would start playing with the candles in order to practice my magic.

It was at the moment that I was most focused on trying to contain a flame that had grown rather large that the door of the room burst open.

I jumped in my seat, losing my concentration immediately. Just as quickly, it seemed, the fire extinguished.

"Chrys! Sebastian!" Jasmine's voice came from behind me. She sounded rushed, causing me to quickly turn to her.

"What's the matter?" I asked her, standing.

She took a deep breath. "Lisa sent me to find you. She wants you to go back to your room with me and for Sebastian to meet her outside the main doors."

I could see the urgency on her face. What was happening outside?

I felt Sebastian's hand on my shoulder. I glanced up to him, and saw him smiling down at me. "It's probably just another group of protesters. It is nothing for you to concern yourself with. Go ahead with Jasmine and I'll make sure to end this quickly."

I couldn't answer him. My vision once again haunted my thoughts, and the sight of Sebastian on the floor covered in blood made me shiver.

After a moment, I tried to nod to him, but found that I couldn't move. It only took a second for the familiar sensation to wash over me as I entered a new vision.

It was dark outside. Sure enough, there was a large group of protesters just beyond the gate. They were yelling about how they didn't need the monarchy, how they had all been fine since the last king had perished ages ago. I looked on, feeling bad for coming here and turning their whole world upside down. I hadn't chosen to be the one in their prophecy. I hadn't wanted to be a queen.

I quickly cleared my head, not wanting my own negative thoughts to distract me from whatever it was I was supposed to be seeing.

I watched on, the protesters continuing to yell at the castle gates. I could see Lisa, Sebastian, Evan, and a few other guards standing by the doors, waiting it out.

Suddenly, I heard a loud crash, and my own scream from another part of the castle. Several of the protesters then smirked, before quickly running away.

When I came out of the vision, Sebastian was holding me to him, preventing me from falling to the floor.

As soon as I began to stir, Jasmine was calling out to me. "Chrys! Are you alright?"

I couldn't answer her. I gripped Sebastian's arms tightly. "It's a trap." I managed. "Don't go."

His hold around me tightened in response. He then directed his attention to Jasmine. "Go inform Lisa of what she just saw, and that I'll be staying here."

I heard Jasmine's rushed footsteps as she hurried out of the room. As the door closed behind her, Sebastian gently lowered us to the floor. I soon realized I was trembling.

I felt Sebastian's gentle hand petting my head comfortingly. "Just stay quiet, My Love. No one will find you in here."

I nodded, holding onto him tighter. I wasn't sure how long it would take for my vision to come true, but I knew I was quite a ways away from my bedroom. When they did make it into the castle, they wouldn't check here for me. Not immediately, at least.

As we sat there, waiting in silence, I tried my best to calm my nerves. If someone did find me, I couldn't let myself be petrified. I had to be able to fight back. After that terrible vision two weeks ago, I knew I had to make sure I wasn't afraid.

Once I was as calm as I was going to get, I looked up at Sebastian, who was staring at the door, thinking. When he noticed my gaze, he looked down at me, a small smile on his lips.

"It's quiet. What did you see, exactly?"

"It's dark outside," I whispered. "There's a group of protesters, but they're just a distraction. The real threat is someone breaking into the castle. I heard a crash, and my own scream as someone found me..."

As my explanation trailed off, I suddenly felt this weird sensation. It was like a heavy weight on my head and heart, and my very being seemed to be screaming "danger" and "demon".

I released Sebastian and brought my hands to my chest. "Wha... What is this?" I felt the pain in my eyes as they changed color, and all I could do was bury my head in Sebastian's chest.

His arms wrapped around me again. "You seem to sense it too, the demon approaching. Remain calm, Chrystal. It will pass."

I nodded, taking deep breaths to calm myself. Eventually, the feeling did leave me, but I was still left more aware of the fact that someone was nearby who shouldn't have been. The pain left my eyes as I felt them return to normal, and I let out a quiet sigh in relief.

Sebastian seemed to relax as I did, no doubt sensing my pain was gone. I glanced up and gave him a weak smile, wanting nothing more than for him to be certain I was okay, because if I was able to convince him, maybe I would be able to convince myself.

A loud crash broke us from our gaze. I clamped my mouth shut, not wanting to make a sound that would give away our position, while Sebastian released me and stood, positioning himself between me and the door. Footsteps were heard running down the hall, pausing for a moment at each door before moving on to the next.

As the footsteps drew closer, my anxiety grew. Would the demon outside attempt to come into this room? Would he somehow know I was here?

"Hey!"

I jumped at the sudden voice. It was muffled through the walls, but by the way the person outside the door seemed to pick up their pace down the hall and pass by our room, it seemed they'd been found. Several more footsteps ran through the corridor, guards pursuing the intruder. Sebastian and I let out sighs of relief in unison as I leaned against the wall and he turned back to me.

"Well, the guards should have this taken care of in a few more minutes, but I do believe it is safe to say you are no longer in danger."

"For now," I added softly.

"Unfortunately, you are correct. But I will never let anything happen to you. I'd give my life for yours if you would let me."

I gave him a small smile, remembering my order to him.

"How about a distraction? Show me what Lisa has been teaching you," he offered as he held out his hand to help me stand.

My smile widened as I accepted his hand. This was going to be fun.

(Can't promise when I'll be able to post/write the next one, but I was able to finally finish this one. I hope you enjoyed it and will be patient with me as I try to get back into writing again.)