Chapter 16

"I won't wear it. I can't."

"Chrys, calm down," Jasmine's voice said, muffled slightly by the closed door between us.

I refused the tiara. I wouldn't wear it. I wasn't ready to be a queen. Until I felt that I was, I didn't want to act like one.

I was being childish, I knew that somewhere deep down. However, when Sarah had shown me the black tiara that I was to wear to the ball, I'd freaked out and thrown a fit over it. Sarah, having been unable to calm me down, left for reinforcements, and at the moment it was her and Jasmine out in the hallway while I sat in front of the door, hugging my knees and preventing anyone from entering the room.

When Jasmine's words sank in, I quickly looked around me. The strong winds around the room died down for a moment, and as I looked over all of the destruction I'd caused without realizing, I put my head to my knees, even more fear taking over.

There was silence from the others for a long moment; that or I just couldn't hear them over the wind in my ears. But I was able to hear a soft knock on the door just behind me.

"Sebastian," I cried.

Not a moment later, he was wrapping his arms around me. After a beat, his lips reached mine.

I immediately latched onto him, holding on as tightly as I could. I was so scared of the winds that wouldn't settle, of the tiara, of trying to learn to become a queen. And he could feel it. I knew he could as he held me close, kissing me lovingly, trying his best to ease my worries.

After a moment, I felt the winds die, and I was left in the stillness of the room, quivering as I clung to him tighter. He pulled away from our kiss, and I buried my face in his chest.

"I can't wear it," I whispered to him. "I can't."

"And why not?" he asked gently. "Chrystal, it is only an accessory. It means nothing."

I couldn't respond. It didn't mean 'nothing'. It was a tiara. It marked me as the matriarch of this realm. I wasn't ready for that. I didn't want to be a queen yet.

"My Love, look at me."

Shakily, I raised my head to meet Sebastian's worried gaze. He gave me a soft smile.

"This tiara really seems to have you rattled. Usually I'd have been able to calm you down completely by now."

I looked away.

"Do not worry, My Love. I will not make you wear it if you do not wish to. It was merely an accessory, and it was to help people spot you out of the crowd. Everyone is going to want to find you and say hello."

I didn't respond.

He then gently lifted my chin with his index finger so my gaze met his once again. "Your dress is beautiful, by the way. Almost as much so as the lady wearing it."

I smiled, blushing slightly, as the rest of my unease and anxiety suddenly disappeared.

Sebastian's kind and loving expression faltered for a moment as he looked up over my head. He pulled me into his arms and stood as the door opened.

I lazily looked over to see Evan in the doorway, with a very worried Sarah and Jasmine on either side. Finally, my fuzzy brain realized what was happening.

I clung to Sebastian. "You can stop, Evan."

His eyes narrowed. "I apologize, but the ball is starting soon. You can't be late."

"And you plan to keep this hold on me for the entirety of the event? You know I can't control myself yet. I don't want to end up hurting either one of us."

"Chrystal, I really don't think-"

Even through the calming fog, I felt anger flare and a pounding behind my eyes. I glared at him. "Release me. Now."

Evan stared in disbelief, as did the others. Suddenly, the calming sensation was gone, and my mind was once again flooded with fear.

"Maybe we should reschedule the ball," Jasmine spoke up, clearly worried about my outburst. "Chrys doesn't seem to be well enough right now."

"We can't do that," Sarah told her. "Everyone is already in there waiting for her."

Sebastian then set me on my feet, but I didn't look up. I was scared of what had just happened to me. I'd never been so mean...

After a moment, I felt something light being placed on my head. I looked up at Sebastian, tears still threatening to fall, and he gave me a soft smile.

"My Love, please wear this tiara. It is only for one evening. Then you can burn it with your fire for all I care." He paused for a moment, taking in my appearance, then smiled wider. "You really do look beautiful, Chrystal. At least you won't have to worry about looking the part when the time comes for you to take the throne. You already look like a beautiful queen."

At that, my tears spilled over, but out of happiness and love more than fear. I was still scared of what was happening and becoming a queen, but I knew that Sebastian was always going to be beside me. I was allowed to be scared, but he was going to be the one to always quell my fears and make me feel better. I wasn't in this alone. I had to remember that.

Slowly, I nodded. "I'll wear it. Just for you," I smiled.

Sebastian's expression turned to one of relief. Then he turned to the others. "Sarah, Jasmine, we have a ball to get to. Help Chrystal finish getting ready."

They both nodded.

He turned back to me. "I will wait for you outside the ballroom." With that, he kissed me one last time before leaving the room, Evan following behind him.