Chapter 21

(Here's your warning. This one gets pretty dark towards the end.)

I was back in the vision, shackles around my wrists and ankles. It was dark, and I still couldn't speak.

Why am I back here? I thought. Was Evan right? Was there something I was supposed to see?

I felt my body tug on the chains, and the same pain of the metal digging into my wrists.

It's the same as before, I realized. I guess this time I'll just have to wait it out...

So I waited for what felt like hours. Nothing happened, no noises were heard other than the chains around me, and I still couldn't see.

Finally, I heard myself speak. "Who's there? Show yourself!"

I stared into the darkness in confusion, wondering what was happening? I hadn't heard anything, so why was I so scared?

A familiar voice responded, "Your powers are growing, I see. You can sense my presence now. Fascinating."

My body turned toward the voice, my eyes burning against the darkness. It was then that I saw my captor's eyes glowing brightly as well.

"I thought you wanted me dead. Why kidnap me?"

The demon gave a deep chuckle, as if the answer should have been obvious. "You aren't the only one who is in charge of the kingdom, you know."

I gasped, a much more intense fear taking over me. "Sebastian..."

I could hear his smirk as he continued. "Yes, he is also in the way, and I thought it would be best to persuade him to relinquish the kingdom rather than fight him for it."

I gave a single laugh. "So I'm bait, is that it? Your hostage?"

"You're catching on quickly. Once he gets here, he'll have the option of either stepping down or watching you die. I can't wait to see what he chooses."

"And what's stopping me from calling for him while no one is here? You know we're bound by a contract. He'll come to me if I-"

"Go ahead and try, Your Majesty. That spell doesn't work down here. He won't hear you, no matter how many times you call."

My heart dropped. I would be stuck until he found me.

I gave the demon one last glare. "He'll kill you. He'll kill you and save me. I know he will."

The demon laughed. "I'd like to see him try."

*

I woke up from the vision slowly, as if it was trying to tug me back in and show me more. But I'd seen enough. I knew what was going to happen, and I had to warn the others.

"Chrystal?" Sebastian's voice sounded distant as I tried to push the sleep away. I had to wake up. I had to warn him.

Sebastian gently sat me up, and I leaned against him. He held me close as I struggled to wake up for the next several minutes. After what felt like forever, I finally opened my eyes.

What I saw was that my room was once again a wreck. Paintings and books were scattered across the floor, and the blanket had been torn off the bed.

"I didn't even..." I started.

"It's alright," Sebastian told me. "You were in your vision when it happened. What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. Something's pulling me back, but I need to... warn you..."

"Then go back," he said, petting my hair. "It must be important if it's fighting you like this. I'll be right here when it's over."

I gave a weak nod, then let the vision take over once again.

*

However, what I saw was not what I was expecting.

I felt myself scream, my voice raw as I fought hard against my restraints. It took a moment to realize I was screaming the name of the one I love.

"Sebastian! Wake up! Sebastian! I order you! Sebastian!! Please! Don't leave me!"

I was finally able to see, and the sight before me made me sick.

Sebastian was lying dead on the ground, mutilated almost to the point where one wouldn't be able to recognize him. But I could. The pain in my heart and my left wrist were all I needed to know that my love was dead.

Standing over his corpse was a group of demons, all of them smirking at me. In front of them was the one with the fiery red hair. He was laughing hysterically.

"Well, I guess he didn't love you enough to put up much of a fight," he howled. "Now, I'll ask you nicely one last time. Step down, and I might let you live."

I couldn't answer. I was sobbing uncontrollably.

He sighed. "You had your chance. I guess this is our only solution." He looked back at his men. "Kill her. And I suppose if you want to have some fun first, be my guest. I'm going to go take the kingdom back for us."

I looked up as the red head walked away, and saw the sadistic smiles and lust in the eyes of his men as they slowly approached.

"No, please," I cried softly. I felt hands on me, then closed my eyes.

The only thing left I could do was scream.