39. The Photo Album

Start from the beginning

Alex blinks. "What?"

"Not pregnant," she repeats.

"Well, of course not. Claire can't have kids!"

They all stare at each other for a second of silence.

"Come again?" Aurora asks.

Everything comes back to Alex. "We tried everything. She was desperate. As much IVF as we could afford, but... Claire can't have kids. How? How can I have forgotten that?"

Two realizations dawn on them. First, George isn't human. Second, he's still in the room, watching them. "Who are you, George?" the Doctor asks him.

"It's not possible," Alex rambles. "This isn't..."

"George?" He just stares at them, with big eyes. Aurora tries to step forward.

The lift makes his toys shake, stopping her. The bedside lamp glows brightly all of a sudden. Aurora discreetly grabs the Doctor's sleeve.

Then the cupboard door flies open. A white light floods out and grabs Alex, Aurora and the Doctor. "George! George, what's going on? Are you doing it?" No matter how hard Aurora tries to anchor herself on the ground, she keeps getting pulled backwards. "George calm down!"

"What's happening?!" Alex cries out.

"Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters," George cries out, bringing his legs to his chest. "Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters."

Aurora hates being the shortest one. She's the first to feel her back collide with a side of the closet. "Yeah, we're trying!"

"George, no!"

"Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters. Please save me from the monsters."

Her legs are lifted from the ground and she has to hold onto the door. "Help me, Doctor!" Alex cries out, reaching the closet.

"Please save me from the monsters."

"George, no!" Aurora feels her grip loosen at the same time as her eyes meet the Doctor's. "Doctor!"

He watches with wide, panicked eyes Aurora getting dragged into the closet.

Alex is dragged soon after.

The Doctor could have stayed behind — he was taller than the two, and was about to succeed in staying out. But Aurora had been sucked in. So he let go too.

IT'S COLD, AND THE FLOOR IS HARD

IT'S COLD, AND THE FLOOR IS HARD. Aurora sits up, breathing heavily.

The first thing the Doctor does as he stands up, is go and bang against the door. "George! George, don't do this. We want to help you, George."

Aurora helps Alex up. "We went, we went into the cupboard. We went into the cupboard. How can it be bigger in here?"

"Yeah, it happens a lot, actually." She pats his back. "You're okay."