30. The Rise

NOW MIGHT BE THE TIME TO SAY THAT KOVARIAN DOESN'T REALLY HAVE AURORA. She's got most of her memories back, she remembered fighting the Time War, and the Daleks. Kovarian is a lady in a pencil skirt and with a pointy stick.

But Aurora doesn't know where the control room is to find the Doctor. And bringing her to him is probably a good idea. He might have some things to say to her. Maybe a couple swear words. It'd be a nice change if he's the one swearing, for once. Though, really, Kovarian doesn't have Aurora. Aurora has Kovarian.

She turns to her, head tilted. "Kovarian, do you really think guiding me to the Doctor while threatening me is a good idea?"

"It's a good leverage," she answers calmly, though her grip on Aurora's arm tightens.

Oh, so that's why they kept her here all this time. Leverage in case the Doctor comes. "What makes you think this?"

She chuckles condescendingly. "Oh dear, it's a shame that you're so oblivious. You probably won't realize what really matters before it's too late."

Aurora grits her teeth. Who is she to talk about what the Doctor and her feel about each other? "I didn't have a psychopath lecturing me on my bucket list, yet here we are." Kovarian seems to find it funny. Aurora doesn't. She takes a deep breath to calm herself down, and tries to get answers. "You know, leverage isn't of any use if you plan on me killing the Doctor."

"Who said it was my plan?" she muses.

Aurora frowns, confused. "You. Yesterday."

"Oh no, we had a back-up plan." Okay, now she's totally lost.

"Then why did you want to use me?" Kovarian sighs, as if Aurora's question was stupid. She's definitely getting punched the second Aurora has the time.

"The Hybrid is one of the most feared beings in the universe." I sleep with two plushies. Wooh, fear me. "I wanted to use the Hybrid as a fear factor, to assert our dominance over the Doctor. However powerful and scary he is, the Hybrid would always be superior to others. But now that we know that it's you... It's even better."

Aurora's frown deepens. "Why?"

"Because now he'll be scared of you and for you. So he won't do anything." The Doctor should've hired Kovarian as his shrink, going by how she simplified his feelings for Aurora.

She scoffs. "The Doctor isn't scared of me. He knows me."

"Does he?"

Aurora really doesn't like the implications of Kovarian's sentence. "Trust me Kovarian, you're not going to like the end of your story."

She smirks. "We'll see about that."

They reach the control room quickly after this, and Kovarian puts her dagger under Aurora's throat, making her roll her eyes. Really, that's just childish.

She makes them stand in the shadows. The Doctor, a Sontaran, a Silurian, a human and Colonel Manton are standing there. There's also a blue man in the far corner. That sounds like the beginning of a joke.

Aurora has never seen the Doctor this calm. She knows that's how he gets, when he's angry, but going by how unfazed he seems? This is bad, potentially cataclysmic.

"Don't move," Kovarian whispers at her. She should probably get out of Kovarian's grip now, but if she does there's a chance she'll run away.

"Colonel Manton, you will give the order for your men to withdraw," the Sontaran says, pointing his gun at him.

"No," the Doctor stops, walking to him. "Colonel Manton, I want you to tell your men to run away." He's smiling, but Aurora can see the rage simmering underneath it.