10. The Black Spot

AURORA HAD NEVER SEEN THIS. Five pirates, five huge pirates, looking white as sheets when they hear the singing. It makes her step back too, closer to her friends. Whatever's coming, it's pretty bad, she can tell.

"Quickly now, block out the sound," one of the mates says, fingers in his ears.

She blinks, turning to him, utterly confused. "What?"

"The creature," the Captain says. "She charms all her victims with that song."

Aurora almost scoffs. "So we're supposed to put our finger in our ears?" She raises her hands, waving her fingers. "Come on that's, that's..." She notices a small cut on her index, and when she turns her palm to her face, the blackspot. "Oh shit."

The Doctor's face falls, not even bothering to scold her for cussing. "What? What's happening?"

She hides her hand. "It's nothing, I'm fine I'm..." She starts to giggle uncontrollably. She doesn't know why, but everything is incredibly funny right now.

He takes her hand, and inspects her palm. "You have the black spot." She giggles again, taking his forefinger and wiggling it around.

Rory and the mate join in too, guffawing at anything and everything.

"The music," one of the pirates says. "It's working on them. Look."

Rory starts to ramble about how beautiful Amy is, while Aurora just grins at the Doctor, poking his cheek. "What's up Doc?" Another giggle. "Do you know, I think you're, like, very pretty."

A bright light rises up through the water, cutting her off, the Doctor's ears and cheeks burning. A female figure then flies up and gently lands on the deck.

Aurora stares at her in awe. Her feelings towards the Doctor completely disappear as she feels this tug towards the beautiful woman standing in front of her. It's when she feels the Doctor's hands holding her back that she realizes she stepped forwards because of it.

The other mate goes towards her while Amy tries to hold Rory back. When he touches her finger, he explodes in a cloud of soot. Aurora knows she should've found it strange, but really, she just wants to step forward...

But the Doctor holds her back. "I have to touch her," she complains immediately, tugging at his hand. "Let me touch her."

The Doctor pushes her to the side, another crewmate holding her, as he steps forward. "Oi! I'm really sorry, but she is a bit spoken for. Do not ask how, it would take quite a long time to explain."

The woman turns from white to angry red, and a blast of energy throws the Doctor backwards.

"Doctor!" Amy lunges for him, helping him up quickly before holding Rory back.

"Everybody into the hold," he cries out as soon as he's on his feet. "Aurora! Come on!"

She feels his arms snake around her waist as he drags her away. "No wait! No!"

He almost carries her on one of his shoulders as they climb down to the hold. There's a splash as she sets her down, landing ankle deep in bilge water.

"Take me back," she whines, but he still holds her back, his arms around her.

"What is that thing?" Amy pants, hugging Rory tightly.

"The legend," Avery answers, just as out of breath. "The siren. Many a merchant ship laden with treasure has fallen prey to her. She's been hunting us ever since we were becalmed, picking off the injured."

"Like a shark," the boatswain adds. "A shark can smell blood."

"Okay," the Doctor muses in Aurora's ear, close from holding her back. "Just like a shark, in a dress. And singing. And green? A green singing shark in an evening gown."