53. The Lodgers

AURORA IS MORE THAN TIRED. Which can be easily explained; when she said she searched for the Doctor, she did. Night and day. Relentlessly. Without sleeping. She's not Flesh again, she's just been really, really busy. For 9 months. But who's keeping scores?

This really is questionable, but there is nothing normal about any of this. The man she loves is going to die, and he went away for fear of her becoming the thing that will destroy the universe.

"Yeah, Soph," Craig says, on the phone, snapping Aurora out of her daze. "Just enjoy your holiday. Yeah, coping."

Craig and her left a bit early after lunch to buy some diapers. Aurora also insisted on buying something for Alfie. He's been a good boy, he deserves this. "You're a good liar," she tells Craig with a small smile.

She loves Craig. He's nice and really tries to do a good job – but she's gotta admit, he has moments where his awkwardness with Alfie just makes her laugh. She can't help it.

"Shut up!" Aurora can hear Sophie exclaiming something through the phone and snorts. "No, not you, Soph. Somebody in the store. Just an old woman."

Aurora scoffs, turning away. And she has to duck as an automated helicopter crashes next to Craig.

They turn around with wide eyes. And gape at the Doctor.

Aurora should have felt him coming, right? Unless she absent-mindedly blocked her Time Lady radar. For fear of sensing when he dies. When she'll be the last of their kind. Still, the result is that he's standing in front of her, and she might go ballistic.

Craig quickly hangs up with a 'Yeah I love you', and still Aurora is 5 steps ahead of him, stomping towards the Doctor, who has the decency to quickly retreat. He gathers the children around him to protect him.

"Oops. Guys, guys, ladies and gentlemen. While I deal with this awkward moment, you go and find your parents slash guardians. Try in lamps." He high fives a young girl before pointing his fingers at Aurora. "Aurora!"

She clenches her fists, lip twitching in anger. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Craig arrives with the stroller. "Yeah, what she said."

"I'm the Doctor. I work in a shop now. Here to help." He points to the badge on his chest. "Look, they gave me a badge with my name on in case I forget who I am. Very thoughtful, as that does happen."

Aurora shakes her head. "You can't be here."

"But you're here!"

She scoffs. "Yes, and you left. You can't just... You can't keep showing up and leaving, that's not fair!" If he gives her hope and takes it from her once again, she's going to do something drastic.

"You were leaving," Craig corrects, hearing the venom in her voice. "The Alignment of... Exeter, what about that? One chance to see it, you said."

The Doctor tears his gaze from Aurora. "Well, I was on my way, you know. Saw a shop, got a job. You got to live in the moment." Aurora's brain activity flat lines. "Craig, mind Yappy!"

"What?"

"Yappy. The robot dog." The Doctor picks up a robot beagle. "Not so much fun as I remember." Aurora decides here and then that she wants this for Alfie. The Doctor notices her smile and looks at her. "You look awful."

She breathes a laugh, a bit shocked. "Oh, well, thank you. I haven't slept, have I? There's this guy that keeps showing up and leaving without any freaking warning." She smiles down at Alfie. "I had to shush Stormy. I even tried singing to him last night."