6. The Memories

THE DOCTOR AND AURORA ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE TO GET INTO NASA AND MESS WITH APOLLO 11. Because, well, of course they are the ones messing with the actual rocketship. Who else?

"Hand me my sonic please."

Aurora nods even though the Doctor can't see it from under all the wires. He's inside the capsule, and Aurora made sure to stay outside. She's not stepping into any confined spaces anytime soon. The Doctor didn't even bother to ask her, because he already knew she wouldn't get in. She holds out the screwdriver for him...

And everything goes black.

IT'S COLD. She can feel the bite of the wall against her back, despite the fabric of her red dress. It's torn in some places, and one sleeve is gone. She's in that cell again. She recognizes from that hallucination she had, a few months ago. There's a torch in front of her, creating dancing shadows in her cell. She doesn't know why she's here. She only knows that, weirdly... it's ironic. The whole situation brings her a bitter sense of irony.

"You're scared," she mutters for whoever can hear. But it's not her, not yet, at least. "Because I did what no one else could." She snorts. "Because I'm the only one who shows empathy when all of you want to kill each other."

It's during the war. The Time War. She knows she has something to do with it, the Dawn has something to do with it. That's who's speaking with her mouth, right now. The Dawn, the Time Lady she used to be, and remembers so little about.

Even now, in the body she used to have, blonde hair falling around her face and white milky arms held behind her, she tries to remember why she's here. But she can't. It's something to do with the Time War, but what? She doesn't know, not yet.

"What you did," someone answers, "you did it for chaos."

The thought makes her shiver in rage, and frustration. A sense of recognition, too. As if someone told her that before. Made it so that it would be what everyone thinks. She did it for chaos... Someone that could link them both.

"I did it for peace," the Dawn retorts, still, and Aurora knows this urge to justify herself, to promise that she had everyone's best interest in mind. "I did it for the universe that you're going to burn with your hatred and pride." She raises her head, and grins at the President. "I did it to give people a new hope. You, you're just a bunch of scared little boys trying to see who's got the biggest."

The President's gaze hardens. "You really are your brother's sister."

Somehow, this doesn't feel like a compliment.