The Secret Gets Out

Dan gasped. He didn't wan't the gates closed again. It was so nice to have people in the castle again, he didn't want to go back to being alone. "Phil, Phil, wait!" Dan protested, going after Phil. He tried to grab his hand but pulled his glove off by mistake, instantly terrifying Phil. "Give me my glove!" Phil begged, reaching for his glove but Dan kept it away. "Phil, please. I can't live like this anymore." Dan pleaded. Phil was close to tears. "Neither can I, Dan. Trust me. I don't want any of this either. It's just the way things have to be right now." Phil confessed. "For how much longer?" Dan demanded. "Until I know you'll be safe." Phil said, walking away. "Safe from what?!" Dan asked. "Enough, Daniel." Phil warned. "No! Why? Why do you need to protect me? What are you trying to protect me from? What are you so afraid of?!" Dan yelled. "I said enough!" Phil shouted as he turned around, accidentally shooting sharp ice from the ground with his ungloved hand. Everyone gasped, jumped back and stared. Including Dan, who didn't see what the others did. They saw danger, a possible monster. All Dan saw was the fear in Phil's eyes and how scared he looked. "Phil..." Dan whispered. Phil dashed out of the room, Dan following him. "Phil, it's ok! Wait!" Dan called. James ran after Dan in case he got hurt.

Phil dashed out the front door and tried to make his way through a crowd when he was stopped by a mother holding a baby. "Your Majesty, are you alright?" she asked. "No." Phil answered quietly, shaking his head and backing away. "Whatever is the matter?" the mother asked. Phil was about to answer but he backed into a fountain, accidentally freezing it. Everyone stared in shock. "Phil!" Dan called from the doorway. Phil started running again. He reached the fjord, a dead end. Phil could hear Dan nearby and backed away in fear, not realizing he stepped on the water, freezing it solid. When he noticed this, he knew this might be his only chance to escape. He ran across the water, freezing a path as he went. "Phil!" Dan yelled as he watched hopelessly from land. "No." he whispered. He allowed James to put his arm around him for comfort. "The fjord." James said in shock. Dan looked in shock as the fjord froze solid, trapping the boats. And as if things weren't weird enough, it started snowing. "Snow? In July?" Dan said surprised as he walked back to the castle with James. "Are you alright?" he asked Dan. "No, I'm obviously not alright!" Dan yelled. "Did you know?" James asked. "Of course I didn't know! Do you think I'd be this freaked out if I did know?!" Dan roared. James jumped back and Dan sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It's just...this is a lot for me to take in right now. This is really weird to try and process. I mean, Phil's been in his locked room for more than 20 years and everyone told me it was because he was growing up but apparently he was trying to protect me and had fucking winter magic this whole time? That's why he shut me out? Did my parents know? Did his parents know? Did they lie to me?" Dan rambled. "I'm sure everything they did and said was because they had your best interests at heart." James reassured him. Dan gave a half-assed smile. He knew James was only trying to be nice and clearly really liked him, but all Dan could think about was Phil. He seemed so afraid. He had to go find him. "This whole thing was my fault somehow. And that's why I have to go after him." Dan said, determined.