Chapter 7: Sous Chef

Rick's POV

Waking up to the smell of delicious breakfast always had my day going. Beth always knows how to liven up the morning for the family it's comforting. I yawn and stand up from the chair I sat and stretched, seeing the bed empty with the cover still thrown around I quickly made the bed and tucked the covers, coming downstairs after.

"Mm, smells good Beth." I say as I walk into the kitchen to hear laughter and four people. Four?!

"What the hell is she doing out of the basement?" I growl and stomp towards Y/N who had a pan midair onto a plate of two stacked pancakes. I was about to make an argument when suddenly a piece of crispy bacon got shoved into my open mouth.

"Calm down Richard, I'm only here for breakfast I'll go back down later." She smiles and hands me a plate of three pancakes and bacon. Smells gooooood. I hid the fact I wanted to shove the breakfast into my face and forcefully took the plate, grumbling and heading to the table.

I turn around for a second to see if they were looking at me, and took a big whiff at the heavenly aroma. If she weren't cooking for breakfast I would've dragged her back down by the hair, she can thank me later, after I finish breakfast.

The others started to pile into their seats after a few minutes with their own plates of food, all looking respectively perfect with their choice of toppings. Morty with whip cream and powered sugar, Summer with mango slices and syrup, Beth with blueberry's and maple and Y/N with chocolate chips and maple.

"Aren't cats supposed to not eat chocolate?" With a blank look I look at Y/N who was about to take a bite of her pancake. She puts the fork down and shake her head with a smile.

"That may be true but I'm not fully feline so it won't be dangerous for me to." She finally eats and chew slowly, savoring the flavor just like the other three did. Their faces looked like they were dining in heaven so I really gotta try this out for myself.

I tried to chew as if I weren't enjoying this, I'm still mad and I have my pride to protect, not letting her see how vulnerable I am to food.

"Well?" Beth cut through my focus and my façade dropped as a smile came to my face. "It's good...but no match to your cooking." I gave a forced smirk to hopefully disappoint the girl who cooked. Beth chuckled and raised a brow.

"Really? Cause it seems like this is your first time that you finally savored something you ate. Don't lie dad I know you love Y/N's cooking." This time Beth gave the smirk.

Y/N giggled quietly and continued to eat mumbling something under her breath. "What?" I ask irritated clenching my fist around the fork I held. "Hm? Oh..uh no it's nothing." She nervously scratch behind her ear and smiled looking down at her plate.

"No shit it's nothing. What is it?" I demanded earning me a disapproving look from my family. I hold my hand up to let me be and ask my questions. It's why she's here in the first place anyway, so she could be questioned.

Y/n pushed her food around her plate and poked at her stack. "I just...your father daughter bickering reminds me of something." She smiles sadly and bit from her strip of bacon chewing uncomfortably slow.

"How so?" I ask noticeably curious, Beth, Summer and Morty's disapproving looks turn to curiosity as well. "Someone I used to date does that too, often with his son-in-law. I missed it." With a sad chuckle she stood up bringing her half eaten plate of food and exited the dining area to the kitchen.

"Nice work granpa Rick. Now she's gloomy than ever." Summer scoffs and quickly finished her food standing up and following Y/N to the kitchen with Morty behind her.