Chapter 6: True Story

Rick's POV

"JUST FUCKING TELL ME ALREADY!"

It's been weeks since I tied Y/N down in the basement, she hasn't answered my questions properly and it's driving me insane. It's clear she's hiding something, avoiding something. She's pretending to be new to all of it, but she already knows too much, I can tell.

She's crying again and I'm fighting the urge to free and hug her, again. I don't know what's with this urges that involves me caring for me, but I do know I'm not the only one. Summer's been sneaking in here when I'm away to talk to her and almost freed her one time, the same as Morty, he's seeking advice from Y/N and would ask her to cook.

This past few days have been filled with unintentional urges to care for her and stressful interrogation.

"J-just please drop it Sanchez." She sobs and sunk her claws into the cushions of the chair while tears overflowed from her eyes and onto her cheeks.

I'm sorry Y/N

I hadn't realize it but I was slowly inching towards her, the desire to untie and embrace her clouding my mind.

It was the hatch opening that brought me back, I scowled and took a long drink from my flask irritated with this woman.

"R-rick? M-mom's home a-and she's a-asking a-about Y/N. She wants t-to talk to y-you. " Morty's stuttering voice echoed through the walls. Growling I stomp towards the ladder and up the garage to talk to my daughter, leaving Y/N with Morty for the time being.

He's more calmer than Summer about Y/N's situation.

I come up to Beth in the kitchen a glass of wine in her hand and leaning against the counter waiting for me. "I thought you said no alcohol in the house unless necessary?" I chuckle and she stared at me with disapproval.

"Yeah well, I know you don't follow the rules, and this is necessary." She finishes her glass and sets it on the counter where she then turns to me, arms crossed and looked hopeful at me for whatever answers I got from Y/N. I shake my head and sigh.

"Still nothing sweetheart. She's tough as a boulder, won't budge and give 'em." Irritation once settle in me again as I took another swig at my flask waiting for anything else Beth has to say.

"Dad.." I hum, letting her I know I'm listening as I rub my temples, from the upcoming headache.

"What if she...erased..our..m-memor—" A loud thud cut her off and I jump looking at where Beth used to stand but to where she now lay unconscious. I drop to my knees and cradle her head, checking for a pulse to find it steady and strong. I sigh and carry her upstairs to Beth's room laying her down on her bed.

I sit there with her, worried she might've overworked herself with balancing time between her job and us. I'm glad she's the same all this years and hadn't given up on life.

I sigh and lay my head beside her, admiring how independent my daughter had become and what she had accomplished and with a smile I came to the world of dreams.

Y/N's POV

It's been weeks and he still hasn't given up on the topic, he still so determined to get his answers. Why won't he just drop it and accept the fact I'm not coming back? Fully.

For me, I'd love to come back to them, and be happy once again. Back them up, protect them and care for them once more. But I can't. I've done enough damage to this family wether it was noticed or not, crucial or mild, physical or mental, I've done enough.

"Y/N?" Morty's voice brought me back to reality and I raise my head to look at him. "Yeah, sweetpea?"I smile and tried my best to gesture an offer of a hug. I guess he saw what I was doing for in a matter of seconds he was tightly squeezing me in a hug and bawling his eyes out.

"Hey, don't cry...It'll be okay. Want to talk about it?" I caress his face best I could and wipe the tears away with my bound hands. "Y-you've c-change." Morty sobs, I raise my brow in question to what he was saying and tilt his head towards me.

"What do you mean sweety?" I chuckle and ruffle his brown nest of a hair. He wipes the rest of the wetness off his face and sits on the floor in front of me. "Y/N, I know."

Know what? Is this about..me? No that's not possible I erased their memories of me and did my best to get rid of evidence I was here. I know I failed at the latter but I had no knowledge of those polaroids, and there's no cure to that pill. I couldn't...wait.

What if..no.

"You found something to deflect the effects of the pill... didn't you?" I smile sadly, knowing I did my best at not existing in their memories I was glad, but knowing now that one person failed to fully forget me saddened me.

Morty shook his head. The sorrowful smile on my face melted into one of confusion. "Was the pill immune to you?" I ask, only for Morty to shake his head again. "Then what happened? There's supposed to be no cure for that, nor a possibility for it to be immune to any person."

There shouldn't be a way for Morty to regain his memories let alone embrace the fact that I was someone close to them just by comparing me with the photos. There IS no possiblity for it to not work.

"I-i know you're t-trying to find an ex-explanation f-for me st-still having m-my memories. A-and I kn-know that y-you've tho-thought of m-ma-many possibilities." Morty stood up and proceeded to untie me. I look at him with worry and hugged myself.

"Y/N you're smart b-but you're stupid at t-times."

"I know, Morty." I tear up not bothering to wipe it away, I've already been defeated by my own self idiocy what else should I do but cry and look like a complete wimp.

"I don't drink wine Y/N."

Chuckling I finally wipe the tears off my eyes, and I call myself a family of the Smith's, when I didn't even know what all of them are like. Huh, I guess I wasn't paying attention too much but that's good at least I know I'm not some perfect little princess like they called me in the fed.

"Then why'd you stay quiet all this time? You even fooled Rick into thinking you've had the same urges as them." I stare at him with appreciation. He hasn't snitch on me, but it's only a matter of time when he finally gets of tired pretending.

"I di-didn't, t-these past five years I-I've been as-asking R-Rick to f-find you. He d-didn't respond until y-you g-got pr-promoted to commander i-in the Fed." Morty took a piece of paper out of his pocket and showed it to me.

It was an article about the retirement of Tim and his words about my promotion with a photo of me back when I was still a trainee. "I actually look hot in a uniform." I joke and chuckle as Morty blushed and pocketed the paper, "I was sa-saving it f-for Rick if he does get his mem-memories back o-or if you two hit it up a-again." Morty fiddled with his thumbs and looks down.

I walk towards him with a smile and hugged him properly, a wave of relief washing over me.

"I might be sad about you not forgetting about me but I'm glad you didn't. I've missed you guys." I sniff and kiss the top of Morty's head letting my chin rest there for the entirety of our long needed hug.

"I missed you too Y/N, and I'm sure they would've too."

At least now I won't be alone in this battle.