Chapter 26: Of New and Old Acquaintances

Okay, we're in the second half of the book. From this chapter on, the rating will go up as the story will go darker. We'll learn more about Tom and his past. There will be more uwu scenes, yes, but there will also be more chapters with warnings. You may skip the part which makes you uncomfortable, just be aware that you might also skip some of the plot.

Warning: this chapter contains violence, blood, and manipulative behaviour.

-

Tom sat down at his desk and leant on it. He glanced at the clock; lunchtime was just around the corner, yet every second felt like forever.

Usually, he went home when people were having a lunch break. As per his internship agreement said, he only needed to work 5 hours per day anyway. His job was still somewhat harder compared to the rest of his workmates, but he was having the same base wage as them, just minus the allowance and perks. Fortunately, his workmates never complained about that... not that he interacted with them much. It had been almost a week and he didn't even know the name of the buffalo whose table was just next to him.

His boss was moved to another department last week. Officially, she worked for the last time last Friday, but she wanted to make sure everything still went smoothly so she came yesterday.

Today, his new boss and a new workmate were coming. His other workmates had gossiped about them having taken a peek at them during the interview. Apparently, his new boss was kind, easy-going, and beautiful, while his new workmate was tall, dark, and handsome.

Tom chuckled a bit; maybe he now had a reason to go home after lunch instead.

But it was almost twelve and they hadn't arrived. Perhaps his luck was for tomorrow.

"Hey guys, he's here! He's here!" Michelle said as she happily ran to her workmates' desks. Tom just let out a chuckle as he watched her.

"Where is he?"

"He just left the branch manager's room!"

The wolf ignored the ladies gossiping and replied to some emails on his desktop instead. It wouldn't really concern him anyway. Women could sometimes be hard to read.

Freya came to his table, followed by Michelle and Kimberley. "Tom! Tom! Do I look beautiful?"

"Yeah, Tom! I don't look messy, do I?"

"I gotta comb my hair a bit more. Where's my comb?!"

The wolf shyly smiled a bit. "Um, you're all beautiful. Don't worry."

The door then opened, and the ladies squeaked. Tom glanced at the newcomer and silently sighed in relief.

"Oh, come on! We weren't expecting you, Jonas!"

Jonas just shrugged and sat on his seat. "They're on their way, anyway."

Oh, so the buffalo's name was Jonas.

The girls squealed again, and Tom just rolled his eyes.

Several moments later, the door opened again, revealing the branch manager and two strangers behind her. Tom stood from his seat to greet his new boss and workmate, but he froze when he saw them.

Behind his new boss, who was a beautiful cat lady, by the way, was someone he recognised.

"Good day everyone. Here is Ms Quincy Clayton, your new head of this department, while this is Mr Lucas Willem Hokee, your new workmate." The branch manager said, introducing them both.

Ms Clayton smiled at them. "We look forward to working with you."

The girls all greeted their new boss—it looked like they weren't really far in the age department. Then they all greeted tall, dark, and handsome behind her. His other workmates went closer to greet them, but Tom only focused on Lucas. He towered over everyone and was scanning the room. When his eyes landed on Tom, he too was surprised.