Chapter 13: Corporate Business

(Revised 22/09/21)

Wow, I wasn't really expecting this to get this many views with this many chapters. Thank you so much, everyone! Here's a new semester!

Also, chapter 14 will come sooner, maybe in 23 or 24 July and chapter 15 will come in 1 August. After that it's on schedule.

-

Another semester in college, another half year to ponder what was the meaning of life.

Tom nearly dragged his feet as he walked. He wasn't being lazy; heck, he was so looking forward to this semester's subjects. He could finally have some action! But he was finishing his essay last night, and what he thought would be just one or two hours of clanking away turned out to be almost five.

Having a class at 8 didn't help him at all. He didn't have time to get a cup of tea.

...wait, hadn't he ever been in this scenario before?

"Hey, Tom."

Tom was about to look behind when he felt an arm wrapping itself around his shoulders. He glanced up and saw Max smiling brightly at him, his thick coat making him seem a little bigger. The wolf smiled back at the dog. "G'morn."

"Happy new year, wolf." Max pulled him close and gave him his fist. "How was your vacation? Bet the campus was empty."

"Happy new year, too." The wolf gave a fist bump and smiled fondly. "It was. Not fully, though, most of the buildings were closed, though that didn't stop me from exploring every reachable corner of the campus freely like every holiday."

The dog laughed and let go of the wolf.

They walked towards the Business faculty building, crushing the built-up snow on the way. It was snowing last night, and Tom kind of wished that today's class would be dismissed. But there was no such luck. "How was yours? You said it's been a while since you last visited your family."

"Yep." Max said, chuckling fondly. "My brother couldn't stop pestering me. At least my sister allowed me to breathe when myparents strangled me with questions."

Tom just smiled at him.

"Why didn't you visit your family anyway?" the dog asked.

"Uh, they were too busy. Besides, the tickets had probably run out anyway." He tried to evade the question.

"You could have booked, you know."

"Yeah, but they were too busy."

They reached the building and opened the door, shuffling their shoes to get the snow away before entering. Tom asked another question to change the topic. "We have the same class today, ya kan, mate?"

"Oh right, I got Corporate Business at 8. You?"

"Me too."

Max gave his shoulder a pat. "Let's get to class."

-

The class was... honestly, kind of boring. They didn't know the professor, and after a quick introduction, she just told them to read the textbook before giving their first assignment, and then the class was dismissed. There wasn't even a Q&A session.

Martin was a few minutes late, as did several other students, but she paid no mind. Tom doubted she even paid attention to them coming late. Lucy even came just a few moments before the class was dismissed yet the prof didn't even look up from her laptop.

He gathered his stuff into his bag and stood up. It was still winter, so he planned to take a walk in the campus park like he usually did when he had nothing to do. It was actually nice to take a walk in the park in winter like this. Thanks to his fluff, he usually just needed a jacket for that.