Chapter 46: Stepless Stairs

This chapter is deep, really really deep. Strap onto your seat, we're getting this submarine down. Hope we've got enough oxygen.

Oh also there's killing here. Not as terrible as Red Wolf 1 & 2, but still an on-screen depiction of killing.

---

Octo stared at the empty plate in front of him. He hadn't been eating much lately, stressed about what happened with Tom and Kevin. Even his own cooking didn't really taste as good as they used to.

On one hand, Kevin seemed fine, though he planned to interrogate the red wolf—he shuddered—when he had the chance. Hopefully, Kevin would explain about the scar on his arm and three large slashes on his upper chest and some more on his back that was covered by his t-shirt. The panther froze in horror when he first saw them by accident when Kevin stayed over at his place a week ago. He asked Kevin about it—pushed him, even—but the wolf still didn't want to tell him and insisted that he was fine.

On the other hand...

"I can't afford a surgery."

When Tom said it, he immediately said, "Don't worry about the money. We'll handle it." Max stood with him and Tom could only nod. Tom only had a tier 1 SHS number, so the grey wolf must pay it in full. He could just upgrade to tier 3 right now, but the monthly cost would be too high. Sometimes, Octo forgot to be thankful for what he had, including a tier 4 SHS number.

Now, the panther was sure that he should step in and pay for the wolf's corneal surgery. He had the money in his account; maybe this was the time he put it into good use. He knew he could pay for it entirely and it would barely make a dent.

"You got any ideas?" Max asked him.

Octo sighed and pushed the empty plate forward. He did not want to tell them that. If anything, it would make Max and Tom feel they were indebted to him. Knowing what kind of person was Tom, he didn't want him to feel even more burdened. In addition, with how Max acted around Tom lately, he didn't want to anger the dog or make him think he couldn't help. "No. I... we could do a fundraising? The campus should allow us to do so." He said, choosing his words carefully. He really did not want to play words with his friends, but this time he had to.

"I've been thinking the same thing." Leaning on the table, Max scratched his ear. "But, you know, it's not like they know who Tom is."

Octo just hummed.

Max sipped his coffee. "I'm going to ask my head of study program to see if he could help. I mean, Tom took my major to a national event."

The panther nodded. "Good idea. But what if he can't help?"

"At least we tried."

"I doubt it would work, Max." He drank his chocolate smoothie and sighed. "How about for now, you just take care of Tom. I'll handle the cost."

Max looked up at him.

Before the dog could answer, Octo continued. "He needs someone by his side, Max. You're the best option for that. He needs you. Don't worry about the cost. I'll handle it."

"Right." Max reluctantly let out a sigh. "I'll do what I can."

The panther leant back on his chair and crossed his arms. At least he could do something for his little brother.

He looked up when he saw someone coming towards them. Kevin looked unkempt, his fluff covering the upper part of his for once baggy t-shirt and his expression rather tired. Still, the wolf managed to smile as he walked closer and pulled a chair from a neighbouring table and put it beside theirs. "Rough night, huh?" He said as he sat down.