Chapter 23: Summer Festival, Part 2

*looks away and whistles*

---

The sun had set. The group traversed the crowd as they walked down the stairs towards the second level. There were more booths there, some food, others merchandise and games. All around him, there were colourful booths, twinkling lamps, and lots and lots of selfie sticks. Yeah. Selfie sticks. Uh...

The second level was bright with lamps. And as the group decided to split up and enjoy the night, Tom found himself walking down to one booth serving traditional beverages. It wasn't very crowded, but there was a queue, nonetheless. The wolf ordered a regular warm matcha latte to accompany him through the cool night.

"Tea again?"

Tom glanced over his shoulder. Max was walking towards him with a smile on his face, hands in his jeans. The wolf gave a smile and nodded. "Yeah." He accepted the tea from the waiter.

"Never gets old, does it?" the dog chuckled. "You got coffee here?"

"There is! Do you want cappuccino or macchiato?"

"Give me one shot of espresso, please. No sugar, give it a pinch of cinnamon."

The waiter chirped happily and gave the order to the barista.

"Uh, Tom? Thanks for before, you know, the haunted house and stuff." Max started, scratching his nape. "Really, thanks a lot."

The wolf put his paws around the paper cup, feeding on its warmth as well as on his own beating heart. Max's words really made him feel warmer. "You're welcome."

"It's just that..." Max faltered as he looked for the right word, his ears going down a little. Tom saw him fidgeting a bit as if debating whether to tell him or not. The wolf just put his hand on the dog's arm, making him turn around and look at him.

Tom gave him his most understanding smile. "It's okay. People have their fears." He then added, "I have mine too."

The shepherd stared at Tom, then cracked his own smile.

"Here's your coffee!"

Max gave Tom a pat on the back, then turned to the waiter. "How much?"

"That's 2,1 euros."

"With the tea here?"

Tom turned to Max. "Eh..."

"That's 1,8 euro, makes 3,9 euros all."

"Make it 8 euros with this." He took two chocolate doughnuts and handed the money.

"Thank you! Enjoy your beverage!"

Smiling happily, Max offered the wolf the doughnut as they walked away from the booth. "Doughnut?"

Tom took a bite from the offered food. "Thanks."

They walk in companionable silence for a while, the night breeze sweeping past them. It was a cool night, but it felt warm as Max was beside him. Tom sipped his tea, fighting the urge to look at the dog and enjoy the view like he usually did. "Where're the others?" he instead asked.

"Enjoying the fest." Max took a sip from his cup. "Martin, Ellie, and Andy are going to the first level. Octo and Spencer are checking the spot to watch the fireworks later. If I remember correctly Kevin is hunting with Vilkas as his sidekick."

"Hunting?"

"You know, looking for someone he can bring over to his place, or a hotel. The clear thing is I don't want to be anywhere near them doing that." Max gave a shudder.