Chapter 25 - I'm Useful!

This whole day has been a nightmare. First thing I see when I wake up is Hannah blurting out shit on a gossip channel. I have Jake ring me, questioning me why I met up with Conor - what it had to do with him I will never know, he already told me about him stopping his feelings for me cos he had a girlfriend. I must admit, I’d done pretty shit picking guys generally anyway; I loved Conor, who cheated, I loved Jake who had a girlfriend, I kissed Zayn who has a girlfriend… I give up. I grab the half empty bottle of booze from the table and pour the alcohol into my mouth. Yeah, I was drinking again - so what? This wasn’t my first bottle of the day, maybe my second or third? The effects were long awaited and I was so happy to feel numb again. Jake bursts into the room, dropping his bag of tools by the door and kicking off his muddy boots. Admittedly he looked hot in his builders stuff; shorts, tight white top that was dirty… He always caught my eye, every time he came into the flat after a long day of work. But his day was about to get a lot shitter.

“Ella? For God’s Sake have you been drinking again??” He sounds tired of saying the same thing.

“Don’t even go there… Not today…” I mumble out. I wait for the reassuring hug he usually gives me every day he sees me like this but instead, in walks a slim, gorgeous red head. “Who’s this?” I shout furiously.

“Ella, this is my girlfriend; the one I told you about from the printing company? Her name is Penny.” he smiles and puts his arm around her. At that moment I wanted to grab her and throw her down the many flights of stairs til she rolled out of the building, but instead I walked up, hugged her and smiled.

“You’re beautiful!” I say to her. You could tell she was a little scared of me. “I’m glad you’re making him happy!” And with that I walked back to the sofa and slumped back to the exact spot I’d been sitting in for the whole day. “Look at this…” I shout over to Jake, turning up the volume of Gossip Corner.

“Hello everyone, it’s me, Jade giving you the gossip first! Earlier today we showed images of Ella and Conor meeting for dinner and going back to his house AND we were lucky enough to have Conor’s recent ex, Hannah live on here to tell us what juicy gossip we were all waiting to hear. Well I’m excited to reveal that rumours reveal Conor actually broke up with Hannah! Now what do you guys think of this? Tweet us using hash tag Conorgoss and we may read yours out! Do you think Hannah was telling the truth? Or Conor? We are currently trying to find out the whereabouts of Ella who hasn’t been seen for a while! Hiding away from the shame are we? Well, we have some tweets in already! Proudmama12 says ‘Its obvious Conor is trying to cover up that a girl ended his relationship!’ Louiselala says ‘Hannah’s lying, an attention seeker. Why would you go on here to tell your story?’ and finally TheOnlyWayIsUP88 says ‘Ella will know the story, ask her not us!’. Well that’s all I’ve got time for, but I’ll see you all tomorrow! Bye!”

“Jesus…” Jake exclaims. “What have I missed?”

“Hannah told the world her version of events. Lying of course, but she’s first on the scene so people will believe her. Now I’m being stalked around!” I say, crying into my bottle whilst slurping the drink.

“Oh my God…” Penny pipes up. “You’re Ella? Conor’s Bodyguard?” She almost sounded like a fan girl.

“Yeah! What of it?” I say angrily.

“I’m following you on twitter! You’re amazing! I totally loved you after you went out with Conor to Nandos that first time and held back screaming fans! And when you saved Zayn from the tour bus? That was heroic!” I stare blankly at her. How does she know all this when I’m never on twitter? Of course, newspapers… I’d tried to keep my head so far in the dirt so I didn’t read about myself, now I’m stuck glued onto this channel of gossip!