Chapter 14 - Barry?

****

The London gig was going to start in 10 minutes. You could hear the fans chanting ‘Conor’ or ‘One Direction’ or an individual band members name. It was overwhelming hearing all the fans united as one. No wonder the boys loved gigs! But this was the last one… Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, Glasgow, Belfast and now London. I am pacing backstage, nervous for the guys ready to perform the last gig they have together. I personally think they’ll do it again, they get on so well and have had so much fun these last few months. I’ve loved it! From saving Zayn the first time we were here (and Niall) to travelling all over to these arenas I’d never seen before, now happily back on home turf and ready to go out with a bang!! I seriously have never been this excited in my life. I like this job – no scrap that – I LOVE this job so much. I can’t imagine not saying yes to Paula now; where would I have been if I didn’t say yes? Stuck in my cupboard under the stairs? Beating another person up? Although, saying that, I must thank my violent streak for getting me this job in the first place – if I hadn’t have saved Conor, I wouldn’t be here!

Me and Conor are amazing too. It was lovely to be able to have time with him by myself in the tour bus or in his dressing room (Not what you’re thinking!!) just to chat and learn more about one another. I seriously do love him. And despite the offer, Jake said he couldn’t travel with us, but he’s gonna be here tonight to support the guys. I’m kinda glad he didn’t go I have to admit, otherwise my feelings for him may have come back… I don’t think anything could make this day bad. I’m on Cloud Nine – Higher if I could be!!

BBBZZZZZ. I jump at my phone vibrating in my pocket. Why do I always do that?

From: Jake. Be careful today, heard through the grapevine something big may go down. X

You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me. Maybe I shouldn’t bother saying nothing will make the day bad? It always seems to jinx it!

To: Jake. What do you mean? x

I eagerly waited for a reply, every second felt like an hour. This can't be happening right now... 

BBBZZZZ BBZZZZZ. I jump again. Michael's ringing me?? Why?

"Hello?" I answer puzzled.

"Ella, you know anyone by the name of Barry?" Michael asked, straight to the point. Where do i recognise that name? Barry... I'm sure that name means something...

"I dunno! Why?" Seriously though, where'd this name come from?

"He's all over twitter saying he's gonna cause problems for Conor tonight! He got reported but they contacted me to up the security..." Michael trailed off. Cause problems? Why would this Barry guy wanna cause problems? It's not like Conor did anything to-- Oh Shit!

"Barry's the police guy!" I say, barely understandable.

"Sorry who?" Michael questions.

"The guy i punched in the face, who hit Conor?" I hear a 'shit' in the background but it remains silent on the phone.

"I gotta go. Make sure you keep him safe!" And Michael hangs up. Great. We should be alright though, right? I mean, we have One D's bodyguards there too! Everything should sort itself out... in 10 minutes. Somehow...

***

I look the part, thats for sure! For once, they wanted me to look like security; black top, black jeans, black combat boots and an earpiece. I look awesome! Some guy came in seconds before Conor and One D were going to perform to warn them, but we're ready. The One D bodyguards are plopped around the area, one behind the scenes, one in the wings of the stage and one near the crowd. I'm just there. That's why i have an earpiece. I'm wherever they want me to be! The gig has started, at the moment G23 are playing some club tunes to get everyone in the mood. Even i'm dancing around looking like an idiot! I poke my head out to the crowd, they're loving it! With 'Gangnam Style' playing, i can almost feel the room bouncing up and down as they are!

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THANKS FOR PARTYING HARD WITH ME, BUT NOW IT'S TIME TO WELCOME OOOOOONNNNEEEE DDDDIIIREEECCTTTTIIIOOONNNNN' a voice shouts overhead. The roof lifts with the screams heard, even i was taken aback! One Direction run onto the stage, jumping around and start straight away with 'What makes you beautiful' but my happiness was short lived.

"Ella? There's some strange guy walking towards the stage... Over."

"Ok, I'll take a look. Hold back in case they make it past me!"

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN" shouted Louis, "WELCOME CONORRRR MMMAAAYYYNNNNAAARRRRDDDD!"  Yeah, great, thanks Louis! The screaming gets louder and i stumble out to the crowd, but i cant see anyone past the jumping, screaming fans.

"I... I cant see anyone. I'll make my way back to the stage and get a higher view!" I shout into the headset. I run back up to the wings of the stage and poke my head past the curtain, still unable to see.

"I found him, section b, 4th row!" A bodyguard shouts into his headset. my head immediately turns to the section, where i see a guy walking towards the stage with one hand inside his coat.

"Got him! What's he doing with his hand?" i ask rhetorically. For a minute it feels like i'm just standing watching him in slow motion get closer and closer to the stage without even taking a breath.

"Ella? Ella!!" Someone screams in my ear. I wake up from my daydream-like state to see this guy now walking directly towards the stage, something in his hand glistening with the stage lights. "He has a knife! I repeat HE HAS A KNIFE!" 

For the first time since becoming a - well - whatever i am, i actually got scared. What if he got me, or worse, Conor or one of the 1D boys? I'm literally  shaking in my combat boots, but i gotta protect them! I walk onto the stage, but behind the speakers so i cant be seen by the public. This man, with his hood up, strolls confidently near the front of the section and waves. He continues walking along section A until he is 3 rows from the stage, in the walkway. The shiny object he holds reflects the light and blinds me for a second or two and i stumble onto the stage properly. You can hear murmurs from the audience and Liam throws a concerned look into my direction. I change the radio frequency to the one the boys earphones are on.

"Guys, no time. Carry on the show no matter what happens." And i switch my radio off. The guy in the walkway aims his knife at the direction of the boys and keeps walking. Oh my God, i'm actually shitting myself... I've never had this before! Why'd they have to have people who wanna kill them? Why?!!?!?! The guy walks closer and closer, and finally my mind opens up to what i'm gonna have to do... Jump off the stage, and onto him. I flick the frequency back to one with the bodyguards.

"I'm gonna jump him, come running as soon as my feet leave this stage!" I say, and take steps back for the run up. Oh god, if this was Barry, i was gonna murder him so bad... And i ran, and lept, and that moment where i was jumping towards him felt like forever, and i had time to reflect. But whilst in midair, a very familiar voice called me.

"Ella! No!" I hear but i have no idea why. As i (in what still felt like slow motion) land on the guy, his hood falls down and there he was -- wait, it WASNT Barry? I push the guy to the floor and hold him down with my knees but a sharp pain suddenly hits me in the stomach. I look down and see a knife sticking out of my stomach. 

"I knew i'd find you again, Ella. You thought the van crashing was enough to let you get away??" his voice echoed. I stare into his eyes as i hold my stomach. Red? it's not possible! Jake's dad? How can this be happening? I thought we were friends!

"Ella?" Jake runs up to me and stands me up. He sees the knife. "Oh no! Shit! I was too late. FUCK!"

Red's laugh can be heard from the floor. The other bodyguards run up to where we are and grab him, shoving him out of the arena. Jake grabs me and runs me backstage.

"LEON??" Jake shouts. Leon suddenly runs out of nowhere. He speaks to me but it all sounds like mumbles. I feel so tired! Jake puts his hands on my shoulders and says something, but again, everything is background noise. I can just about hear myself. Why did Red wanna kill me? I'd grown up around him... And did Jake know what was going on? Was he something to do with it? I feel dizzy, i need to...

***

So what do you guys think? A little long to get to the point, i know, but now sh*t just got real!! What do you think will happen now? Let me know what you'd like to happen and it may just get written!! :D Thanks for all the reads, votes and comments! :) Love y'all x