Chapter 23 - There's Got To Be An Explanation!

Liam’s POV

I stood,  gobsmacked at what I had witnessed but had no idea about. As soon as Zayn, Niall and Harry walked out of the room, Ella ran after them; seconds later they were all back looking sheepish. What was going on? Who were they going out to see? And how had Ella managed to persuade them? Hearing a crash, I turn round and see Jake and Louis passed out side by side by the fridge.  I smile and shake my head, Louis was meant to be the sensible one, well second most sensible.  After Ella had finished her chat, I called her over. Admittedly everyone was drunk, so I was only hoping whatever I said was the right thing, she didn’t look like she was in the mood for me to mess up. I walked with her into the bedroom for some quiet. She immediately collapsed onto the bed letting out a huge sigh.

“Ella, are you ok? What’s going on?” I ask, concerned.

“I don’t wanna talk about it…” Ella replied directly.

“Look, I dunno whats happening, but if you talk to me, I may be able to help!” I say offering a reassuring smile.

“It’s Conor…” She sighs. “He cheated on me with my ex best friend.”

“But I thought you weren’t going out any more? So does it count?” I question, but seeing how hurt she was I knew the answer wasn’t going to be simple…

“No. Since we began going out practically…” she put her hands over her face and began to cry. My stomach dropped, I can’t believe someone could make her feel like this… I suddenly felt the anger Zayn, Harry and Niall must have felt when they stormed out.

“Oh Ella, I’m sorry…” I say, speechless.

“Don’t be… It was obviously me that-” I knew what she was gonna say, and I didn’t want to hear that.

“Don’t be silly!” I interrupt.  “It wasn’t you at all… You’re amazing, the best girl I’ve met in a long time! Don’t even think it was you. It was him; he has problems and so does your friend.” I hesitate. I didn’t mean for it to come out like that, I wanted it to sound sympathetic!

“Thanks…” She says, trying to smile. At least she understood…

“Look, I know you’ll probably just roll your eyes and tell me to shut up, but you’re beautiful, you could have any man you wanted, don’t hang around for one who doesn’t deserve you…” I was going to carry on when her phone rang. I can only assume it was Conor because she stared at it for ages before answering it. I just wanted to scream at him down the phone but I left it.

“I just need time to think… Conor I-I dunno… I don’t think… Look, please, just leave me alone… Stop saying you love me, you obviously don’t! If you did you wouldn’t have cheated!... What do you mean you need to explain? Oh whatever…” She hangs up and throws her phone beside her on the bed. I can see her eyes welling up but I don’t know what to do, so I simply sit beside her on the bed and put my arm round her. She moves to rest her head on my lap and curls up while I stroke her head. It seems to comfort her so  continue.

“Hey, whatever he has said, don’t let it get to you…” I whisper to her.  She moved so she is looking up at me.

“He said he still loves me… And he’s sorry! He says it was a huge mistake. He argued with Hannah and now they’re not talking… I think he means it…” She says will hope in her eyes. I struggle with what to reply to that, so I just nod and continue stroking her hair.

“Look, I won’t tell you what decision is right or wrong, you need to go with your heart but if you keep allowing yourself to get hurt you won’t get any better…” I must sound like the world’s worst agony aunt!

“Thank you Liam, you are a diamond.” She smiles at me. “Could you stay here with me?” She smiled. I could barely say no…

Conor’s POV

She hung up on me! I was there, apologising like there was no tomorrow, and she hung up on me! I lay in the hotel bed, staring up at the pristine ceiling just trying to get my head round it all. I know how bad that must have sounded but she really needs to listen to me so I can explain. I don’t want it to sound like excuses; I just need her to know what I was going through too! It all started with Jake. It cut me so deep to see her so happy to see him. She always went on about him; her best friend, her crush. I know she thought he was dead, but that wasn’t only happiness in her eyes, there was love, lust even! Then she stayed with him, throughout the time we were practising, chatting and catching up, looking happier than I think I’ve ever made her… When we were performing, and she dove out off the stage I just wanted to run to her, cradle her and make sure she was ok, but I was mid-song, mid-gig and she’d told us to stay put in case the guy was after us! Then Jake rushes over, saves her, goes to hospital with her, stays with her the whole time… I never got a chance. Ok, I over exaggerated when I said it was from the day we’d met, I only started hanging around with Hannah when Jake arrived on scene and stole my girlfriend from me. When Mike began bossing me around behind the scenes saying I had to get rid of her or he would, I told him to shove it! I took to telling all this to Hannah, hoping it would help me, but with drink and emotions flying about, it all went wrong… She needs to understand this. I need to see her! I couldn’t help but feel sick when there were postings on twitter of her with the other guys from One Direction or Jake. I just wanted us to be back to normal, Mike fucked everything up and now I may have just lost the only thing I care about… I told Hannah this, she ruined everything even more; told everyone we were going out?! I would never even dream about it… I just want Ella. But I know if I try and call her, the boys will interrupt. Now she says she needs time to think this through. Argh, I need to sort this all out. It was all my fault and now I need to sort it out. But what can I do? How can I make her love me again?