Chapter 27 - The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Ella’s POV

I stayed round Conor’s another night, but I couldn’t sleep. What was I going to do now? I was in the public eye, I was being chased by paps asking questions about things that hadn’t even entered my mind… How did this happen? I used to be a girl with an anger problem looking for jobs, now I’m a bodyguard for celebrities. I date Conor Maynard, I’m friends with One Direction, Jake’s still alive… My life couldn’t have changed any quicker. But do I like it? I dunno. Part of me is tempted to pack it all up and leave, just walk out and say ‘Sorry guys, I need to be normal again…’ huh, funny how I use the word normal… I’m still the same person, yet I feel like an alien. I feel like the life I’m living at the moment is nothing in comparison to the lives of the people I used to hang out with. Hannah’s life changed with mine, although hers is bad press.

“You sleep well?” Conor stirs awake and turns over to look at me.

“I didn’t sleep…” I answer simply.

“Hun, you need to stop thinking about it all… The illness is nothing that can’t be handled!” Conor smiles.

“It’s not that. It’s everything… I can’t keep being bombarded by paps shouting absurd things at me, I can’t keep waking up in the morning needing to check the Gossip Corner channel to find out what they’re saying and having to tell everyone its not happening…” My sentence fades off into a mumble.

“It’s not easy, I’ll be the first to admit it… Imagine if you were ‘Beyonce’ famous…” Conor tries to cheer me up.

“I don’t think I can do it any more… I think I’m gonna quit the job…” I say, humbly.  “I’m sorry…”

“Ella, you’re not thinking straight… You love the job, you love the people you hang out with! Don’t let the paps and the gossip get to you.” Conor sits up and sticks his arm round me.

“I can’t do it… I thought about it all night. I-”

“What if Barry comes to get me at this event tonight?” Conor interrupts. I pause. Of course I wouldn’t want that to happen, and he knows I’m the only one that knows about Barry. He really knows me.

“He won’t…”  I simply say, pleading for a change of subject.

“Well, I had hope that you’d be there to protect me today… But-”

“Stop trying to talk me out of it Conor! I’ve thought about it, and I am quitting. I’ll soon die out of the public eye when I’m not doing anything!” I shout.

“Okay, Okay!” he says holding his hands out innocently. “Then at least come to the gig to support me?”

“Fine, Conor… I’ll come with you, but don’t expect me to save your life!”

***

Barry’s POV

Today was the day. I’d waited for a perfect time to get back at Conor; A time when it was only him performing in a smaller location so I could get there and do him in without it being obvious. He deserves it. Does he have any idea what I went through with the police? His stupid manager burst on the scene and just ripped the shit outta me. I had police up my arse for months… And now he’s doing a local gig, back in London SBE where me and him first met. It’s almost like it was meant to be.  I look over to the Gossip Corner Channel on mute to my left and see a picture of Conor’s face, immediately rushing to turn it up. This channel has been my life, I’ve watched it every day to find out news on Conor and his failing life. It has cheered me up I must admit.

“Hello this is Jade and welcome to Gossip Corner. I’ve just had some breaking news that Conor’s love interest  Ella has officially quit her job as security to the stars. We have not yet had any proper statements but as soon as we do we will let you know. This comes just hours before Conor is scheduled to have his one-off date in London. Will he continue with the gig? In other news, it is believed that the One Direction boys will be there to support Conor tonight. Niall tweeted today saying he couldn’t wait to see Conor perform and meet up with him again. That is all for Quick Chat and I shall see you soon with more gossip you hear here first! Bye!” and it cut to adverts. Oh there is a God and he loves me right now… Just have to wait till the gig begins, I’m in the front row baby! 4 hours to go. May as well choose my outfit, get my shit together and work out when and where to beat this fucker…