Chapter 4 - Police Station

Well, this is nice. Stuck in this police station, with that guy I don’t even know scowling at me. I mean I only punched him in the face... and he was going to do the same to me! Maybe he is annoyed because his missed and mine didn’t? Yeah I’m going to say it’s that. Anyway, I get walked into one of those stupid rooms with the tape recorder and I had to give a blow by blow of the events. I told them Conor was there and they were fighting, so if he wants to talk to anyone, it should be him, I was only trying to break it up and its only because sausage fingers swung at me that I hit him! - Apparently I wasn’t allowed to call him sausage fingers but I didn’t know his name! Assuming the police were already on 'whoever it was's side, I just sat there, barely making an effort, I was ready to give up and just say I did it because I wanted to when suddenly another police officer bursts in the room.

"Sir, we have Conor Maynard and his manager at the desk, they're here about the guy who got punched in the face? But they're being mobbed. Can I bring them in?" To this, the police officer in the room with me nods and no sooner than I had blinked, Conor and his manager were chucked into the room with me! I rolled my eyes.

"Sir, the man out there attacked Conor. I came as soon as I found out it had happened. Look at his face!" The manager points at Conor's split lip. "And look at her hand." Reluctantly, I put my bruised, swollen hand on the table.

"This is what I’ve been telling the man for ages. He seems to have it stuck in his head that I just beat this guy up for no reason. First off, I punched him cos he punched me. Second off, he was threatening Conor and they got into a fight which he started! So why I’m stuck in here and he's out there eyeing up his next victim, I will never know!"

"Alright, settle down now guys. I'm just doing my job." The police officer scorns.

"Well if you were doing it properly, wouldn’t you have asked for Conor's version of events before taking this woman anywhere?" The manager shrugs. The policeman stutters but nothing seems to come out of his mouth in a whole sentence. I smirk a little. I never have people stick up for me in situations. My parents were always sticking up for each other because it was easier than one backing up the child and causing another rift in the family. Too many times that happened. After a while I learnt, and when arguments began, I’d scream and shout louder than anyone else to get my point heard, then I would walk away. Same as at work, and that guy learnt from it. I have had to depend on myself for most things, so I don’t know why I get myself into these situations, knowing no one could or would back me up. Like if Conor and his manager weren’t here who would I have called to help me out? My parents? No... If only Jake was here...

I am bought out of my thoughts again by Conor.

"Lucky we're here to help, eh?" He whispered in my ear. He wore a strong cologne, a nice one though, and I was too busy smelling it to listen really. "Take that as a no then?" He huffed. 

"Sorry?" I said, "Oh, right, yeah of course I’m happy!" I had no idea what I was happy about, it just seemed like an appropriate answer, I was too busy thinking about Jake.

Conor's manager and the policeman walked out of the room for a few minutes, I assume to talk about how to keep it under wraps because he's a celebrity or something... But either way, they left me and Conor in the same room. I didn’t really want to talk to him, I didn’t even know him, so I got my phone out and text my 'Conor Obsessed' friend, Hannah.

'Hey Han, Guess who I met today?' I smirk as I send the message. BBBZZZ. I check my phone. 1 new message from Hanz.

'Who? I bet I never heard of them! :P x' I smirk again as I reply.

'Yeah, you probably haven’t heard of them. Conor Maynard?' There was a long pause before the reply.

'Omg asdfghjkl! You better not be lying to me!!' I giggle as I read it. Conor looks over suspiciously.

"What are you laughing about?"

"Nothing, just texting my mate, Hannah, the hilarious story of today." I say, still smiling at my text. Feeling bad, I decided to put my phone away and start a conversation. "So, what was that fight really about?"

"It's such a stupid story..." Conor sighed, but noticing how intrigued I was, he continued. "I was out with my mates for a 20th birthday party. We were just chilling and having a laugh when our group were chatted to by a group of girls. I mean, I’m not gonna say no! I'm a bloke! So we all chatted, but I got on with one the best... Anyway, we kissed and she gave me her number. She never told me she had someone!"

"Did you ask? You know, like, bring it up in conversation?" I questioned, raising my eyebrows.

"No. I didn’t think to. I mean you'd think if she had someone she wouldn't try it with people! Right?" He looked at me for my thoughts.

"A normal person like me would have told you. Some people just aren’t like that! It's not that difficult to say 'I’m taken, thanks though' or something, right?" I shrugged. Conor nodded.

"I never actually said thanks, did I?" Conor swiftly changed the subject. I shrug my shoulders. "Sorry, my mind is everywhere at the moment. Thanks."

"It's alright!" I smile. "I know you would have been able to handle him, but I thought I’d get my say in it."

"I'll go with that!" Conor nods. Conor's manager pushes open the door and struts in. 

"I got you guys out. That other guy is called Barry. He's being arrested for stalking and starting a fight with you. Be glad that girl was here, cos he was telling a story so imaginative I was gonna ask if he'd copyrighted it!" The manager laughs but me and Conor stay silent. Awkward. "Hey girl, what is your name, sorry?" I look confused at the manager.

"Ella." I say bluntly.

"Ella, I am Michael. Conor's Manager, obviously. What would you say to a couple of tickets to his tour?"

"Thank you for the offer, but no thank you. I want to help people to have the feeling of satisfaction, not for the rewards" And I got up and walked out of the police station, getting the bus home.