Chapter 22 - The Apology

Ella’s POV

I was drunk, I knew that! Thanks to Harry and his boxes of alcohol I barely knew what I was doing until it was happening… I kissed Zayn – I was STILL kissing him. Oh God this is gonna be awkward later. I pull back from the kiss and offer a flirty smile before I stand up and walk back over to the others and began dancing again. We were all incredibly drunk, it wasn’t even funny. Niall had fallen over and just not bothered to get up, so he was dancing on the floor. Louis and Liam were leaning against each other and just swaying as they drunk more, and Harry… Well I didn’t know where he was! Jake was sitting in the kitchen eating. Where the hell was Harry? Oh well. I check my phone while dancing, no new notifications. Thank goodness! Maybe Conor hadn’t seen this image of me with Zayn… BBBZZZZ BBBZZZZ. I look down. I don’t wanna answer this…

“What the fuck are you calling me for?” I blurt out, drunk.

“Ella! What the hell has happened to you?!” A female voice asks.

“Hannah, I don’t want to talk to you… You-” I began, but was interrupted.

“I’m with Conor. He’s a fucking mess. I hope you’re happy with yourself!” She spat. I pause. Did she just say Conor was with her?

“Course Conor would be with you, Whore! Its probably something his precious manager told him to do to get at me. Why would I give two shits about him anyway? He didn’t stick up for me!” I blurt out, beginning to feel a tightening in my chest. There was a long pause.

“Ella, I’m sorry!” A male voice had come on the phone. One that sounded upset and hurt. “I’m so so sorry… I didn’t mean to hurt you but I know I did, and I know I can’t really do much to make up for it! I-I-I just miss you so much… I had nowhere to turn…” The end of the sentence turned into a whisper. I just froze. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t talk, I couldn’t move… He was sorry? Shouldn’t I be sorry?

“Conor… I never really hated you for it… I knew that you were only trying to protect your career because without your career there’d be no job for me to have! I was just trying to clear the fog in front of you… Mike’s bad news…” I say sympathetically. There’s another long pause.

“That’s not what I’m talking about, Ella. Although I’m sorry for that too!” Conor whispered. A lump formed in my throat – one that I’m pretty sure was going to burst out cos it was so big. My stomach tightened and I felt sick… What was he going to say?

“Conor? What do you mean?” I whimper. Do I really want to know? I heard Conor sigh hugely and he began to speak, but as he did Zayn jumped out at me, grabbing my phone and holding it to his ear. He was drunk. Too drunk. I assumed he wanted to hear who it was so he could hang up if it was Conor; but the shocked expression that came over him and the anger that was bestowed on his face was enough for me to know whatever it was Conor had said was bad, and maybe I shouldn’t hear it.

“You fucking pig!” Zayn screams down the phone. “Why don’t you come over here and apologise to her face you pathetic rat!” and Zayn threw my phone across the room. “I’ll murder him” He mumbled under his breath. I ran after my phone, it was still on.

“C-C-Conor?” I ask. There’s silence for a little while. I can hear crying in the background.

“I’m sorry, Ella… He can’t talk at the moment… I’ll get him to call back.” Hannah’s voice said, quietly before she hung up the phone. I threw my phone back down on the sofa, slammed my bottle onto the table and stormed up to Zayn, slamming him into the wall.

“What the hell Zayn?! Why do you always do this?” I shout, inches from his face.

“Do what? How can we have a ‘get over Conor’ party if you’re sobbing into your phone at him?” Zayn says sarcastically. I roll my eyes.