Vanishing Grace (26)

WARNING!

This chapter contains mentions of blood.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"Mei?" I called out as Jimin helped me into the rose-gold bedroom, wrapping an arm around my waist to prop my body against his. I earned a huff of disapproval from Jimin as I attempted to take matters into my own hands and move forward, only making me stumble into a measly limp. "Mei, sweetie, it's me."

We entered the room to see Mei Hua laying on the double queen-sized bed, buried beneath the covers. Her sprawled limbs stuck out from under the messy blankets. At the sound of my voice, she ripped the covers off of herself and ran over to me, hugging me tightly without hesitation. Jimin lowered me to the ground so I could hug her back properly, and he sat next to me while I ran my fingers through the young girl's hair, cradling her in my arms.

"You're okay!" She exclaimed, after letting out a breath of relief.

"Don't worry about me. How are you feeling?" I asked. The girl pulled back and shrugged, glancing briefly at Jimin with worrisome eyes. "He won't hurt you."

"But those guys did... except for Peaches."

"Peaches?" Jimin questioned, yet Mei looked at me and answered as if I asked the question.

"The guy with the purple hair. The others didn't feed me, but he gave me a peach when I was hungry," Mei Hua explained, somewhat smiling at the thought. "I started calling him Peaches after that. I think he liked the nickname."

"Seungsik," I recalled, looking away momentarily, lost in my thoughts. Shaking my head to drive the thoughts out, I held Mei's hand and leaned forward. "Have you been in here since you were brought back?"

Mei nodded, and I sighed, looking to Jimin for confirmation. The distressed look in his eyes told me of the young girl's truth, and I looked back down at Mei, smiling softly.

"You must be bored, sitting in this room for so long, huh?" Mei nodded again. "I think it's time we take a little walk outside. You can stick to my side for however long you like. Does that sound okay?"

"Okay," Mei agreed. She returned a toothy grin, eyes squinting and cheeks puffing. Jimin helped me to my feet, and I leaned on him, Mei taking my hand shyly before we exited and walked down the hallways, sunlight pouring through the glass window panes.

Outside, a group of Shockjaws flew past the castle, looking in to watch Jimin helping me walk, the young girl by my side. The smallest Shockjaw, painted a beautiful crimson, hovered for a moment and greeted me from the outside before its fellow friends hurried it along. I laughed slightly, looking down at Mei Hua's shocked face.

"Never seen a dragon before?" I joked, but she shook her head sincerely, mouth agape, prompting a confused look from me. "Is this your first time seeing a dragon?"

"No, no. I saw your friends' dragons too. But before, I only ever saw the small ones and- wow," Mei said, her mouth hanging open in awe adorably.

"Mei, welcome to the home of the dragons."

Suddenly, a jolt of pain shot through my abdomen and sides, making me halt out of nowhere. I grasped my side and winced, looking down at the area. Jimin leaned forwards to glance at my face, which I could only imagine was flushed with a deep shade of red.

"Maya? Are you-" Jimin asked, only for me to cut him off with a violent cough. I dropped to my hands and knees, unable to stop coughing, the pain becoming worse with every passing second. Mei Hua stood back and watched me as Jimin kneeled, frantically asking me what was wrong. I wiped my mouth, a warm liquid spreading across my fingers.