Ch 6 Section 3

Local Community College...

The professor led the Winchesters down a flight of stairs as he looked at them excitedly, "It's not every day I get a research question on Pagan ideology."

Dean chuckled, "Yeah, well, call it a hobby."

"But you said you were interested in local lore?"

Angel nodded, "Yeah, that's right."

"I'm afraid Indiana isn't really known for its Pagan worship."

"Well, what if it was imported?" Dean asked, "You know, like the Pilgrims brought their religion over. Wasn't a lot of this area settled by immigrants?"

"Well, yeah."

"What about that small town a few miles from here?" Angel looked to him, "Burkittsville. Where are their ancestors from?"

"Uh, northern Europe..." He thought for a second, "I believe, Scandinavia."

She raised a brow, "Any Pagan gods in Scandinavia?"

"Well, there are hundreds of Norse gods and goddesses."

"We just need one." Angel studied him, "One that might live in an orchard."

College Classroom...

The professor put a large book down on his table and opened it, "Woods god, hm? Well, let's see..."

As he leafed through some pages, Dean noticed a picture of a scarecrow on a post surrounded by farmers in a field, "Wait, wait. What's that one?"

"Oh, that's not a woods god, per se."

Angel cocked her head and read from the passage, "'The Vanir were Norse gods of protection and prosperity, keeping the local settlements safe from harm. Some villages built effigies of the Vanir in their fields. Other villages practiced human sacrifice. One male, and one female.'" She pointed to the scarecrow as she sent an eye to Dean, "Kind of looks like a scarecrow, huh?"

Dean nodded as the professor looked between them, "I suppose."

She continued reading, "'This particular Vanir that's energy sprung from the sacred tree?'"

The professor explained, "Pagans believed all sorts of things were infused with magic."

"So what would happen if the sacred tree was torched?" Dean mused, "You think it'd kill the god?"

He laughed, "Son, these are just legends we're discussing." His eyes traveled between them, "You two understand that."

"Oh, of course. Yeah, you're right." Dean quickly shook the professors hand, "Listen, thank you very much."

He nodded, "Glad I could help."

As soon as Dean opened the door, the sheriff hit him in the face with the head of his rifle. Dean fell to the ground unconscious, shocking Angel as the professor grabbed her from behind.

"Get the hell off of me!" She thrashed around in his arms before breaking free, whirling around and punching him directly in the face sending him to the floor, "Asshole!"

The sheriff let a shot off in the air causing her to whip around, "You, little lady, have been a big pain in my ass."

Like he did with Dean, the Sheriff reared the head of his rifle back and knocked her out with it. As the professor got up holding his bloodied nose the two of them exchanged a knowing look.

Streets of Burkittsville...

Stacy, Harley, Scotty and the Sheriff all stood in the rain upset as they discussed what to do next.

"You don't understand, Harley." Scotty pressed, "All of us here- It's our responsibility to protect the town."

"I understand." Harley looked around, "Better than all of you. I'm the one that gives 'em directions. I'm the one that sends 'em down to the orchard."

The Sheriff looked pained, "Harley, please."

"We all close our doors. Look the other way and pretend we can't hear the screams. But this is different, this- this is murder."

"It's angry with us." Stacy pleaded, "Already the trees are beginning to die. Tonight's the seventh night of the cycle. Our last chance, a sacrifice has to be made."

"If the boy and girl we got have to die, they have to die." He shook his head in grief, "But why do we have to involve her?"

The group of them said nothing. Instead they all stared at the ground in disappointment before Stacy put a hand on his arm.

"The two that we've got... they're brother sister. It won't work for the ritual. He needs Emily too, she's all we've got left."

In a cellar...

Dean and Angel sat in a dark cellar by themselves when suddenly the door was opened. Emily stood there crying as she was held by her aunt and uncle.

"Aunt Stacy. Uncle Harley, please." They brought her down the stairs next to the Winchesters before heading back upstairs, "Why are you doing this?"

Stacy turned to her before shutting them in the dark, "For the common good."