Ch 14 Section 4

The Impala was parked outside a cabin in the woods. Inside, Sam poured salt along the window sill as Angel eyed her neck in the mirror. It was a swollen bruised mess with big handprints over her windpipe. They both turned once Dean came into the room.

"How is he?"

Dean looked at them, "He just needed a little rest, that's all." He surveyed Angel, "How are you?"

"A1, little brother." She dismissed, "Not the first time a demon tried to choke me out."

"Hey..." Sam sighed, "You guys don't think we were followed here, do you?"

"I dont know." Dean shook his head, "I don't think so. I mean, we couldn't have found a more out-of-the-way place to hole up."

"That's true. We're in the middle of nowhere in an abandoned cabin."

Sam nodded, "Yeah."

"Hey, uh..." Dean cleared his throat looking away from them, "Can i tell you guys somethin'?"

"Yeah?"

"Sure."

"You know that guy I shot? There was a person in there..."

"You didn't have a choice, Dean." Sam mended, "He was going to kill Angel."

"You saved my life."

"Yeah, I know, that's not what bothers me."

Angel cocked her head to her little brother, "Then what does?"

"Killing that guy, killing Meg... I didn't hesitate, I didn't even flinch. For you two or Dad, the things I'm willing to do or kill, it's just, uh... it scares me sometimes."

The three of them silenced as they stared at each other knowingly because if they were being honest, they were all in that boat.

"It shouldn't." John said as he quietly walked into the room, "You did good."

Dean's head went up, "You're not mad?"

"For what?"

"Using a bullet."

"Mad?" He scoffed, "I'm proud of you. You know... Sam, and I, even Angel sometimes, we can get pretty obsessed. But you- you watch out for this family. You always have."

Dean stared at him for a few seconds before nodding at his fathers word, "Thanks."

The wind suddenly picked up outside just before the lights started to flicker. They all went over to the window as John studied outside.

"It found us. It's here."

Sam looked to him, "The demon?"

"Sam, lines of salt in front of every window, every door." He instructed quickly, "Angel help him."

Sam frowned, "I already did it."

"Well, check it, okay?"

Sam stiffened, "Okay."

After he and Angel left the room John turned to Dean, "Dean, you got the gun?"

"Yeah."

He motioned, "Give it to me."

"Dad..." Dean took the colt out of his jeans, "Sam tried to shoot the demon in Salvation. It disappeared."

"This is me. I won't miss. Now, the gun, hurry." Dean hesitated, sending a look down at the gun, "Son, please." As something flooded over him, Dean started to backup a few steps, "Give me the gun. What are you doing, Dean?"