2

Chapter 2: The Last Time I Saw Him

═════ 🌙 ═════

~8 Months Earlier~

~Levi~

I pushed myself off the tree and stomped back to Hanji. Grabbing the collar of her shirt I lift her slightly. "You're going to tell me everything you know," I growl.

With a nervous smile, she nodded immediately after. I release her and step pass her, I wanted to believe this was all a dream, that if I head back now (Y/N) would still be there. Running down the trail I decided to head back as fast as I could.

As I came to the large building and slipped inside. Running back to my room I ran past a few cadets, although my name was being called I ignored it. Once I reached my bedroom I opened the door hoping that (Y/N) was just messing with me.

With my hand on the knob, I twist it slightly and push the door inward. The room was empty and my shoulders sank, on the bed was the letter I just read. The letter that would rip my heart out again. Walking into the room I shut the door behind me and step over to the bed.

Taking the envelope and letter into my hands I fold the letter back up and stick it into the envelope. But as my fingers slip out of the pocket, I felt something else, another slip of paper. Pulling it out I look to find an image, it was her along with a bunch of faces I didn't recognize.

Flipping it on the back I find numbers written. 2018. I assumed she wanted to give me this so I'd never forgotten what she looked like. But that wasn't going to help. I wanted to go after her, bring her back but I knew that my work here was far from done. "Tch, dammit." I hiss.

Getting back up I decided to go back to Hanji, force her to help me. Storming to the door I whip it open and exit the room, I stomped my way down to her office. When I had reached the door with my right foot I kick it hard causing it to break open.

Luckily Hanji had just come back, startled she looked at me in shock. With my right hand, I slam the door shut and storm towards her. "Levi, please calm down. I'll explain everything but you need to calm down," she says as she quickly makes her way over to the counter filled with lab equipment.

I slapped (Y/N)'s photo down on the counter. "You're going to help me. I'm going after her." I growl. She looked at me as if I was crazy but then looked down at the picture. I was done losing the people I cared for, and (Y/N) wasn't going to simply leave me like that.

"Levi... you couldn't possibly, we still have a shit ton of work to do-

"Obviously, I didn't say when but I will go to her. No matter what it takes, I will bring her back." I bark back. It was selfish of me, even if she was losing her memory here.

"You realize that she's lost pieces of her memories right? Do you really think she's gonna wanna come back and lose more? Sure her life may have been shitty but I'm sure she's got friends she still cares for-

"We will cross that bridge when we come to it... but I am done losing people." I snap. My head darted to the ground in slight embarrassment from admitting how hard this was becoming for me. But it was true... I couldn't lose anyone else.

~Present~

~(Y/N)~

Waking up again, I got ready for the day. Since it was Christmas break, I didn't need to go to class for another couple of weeks. Dressing in mostly black, I step out of the bathroom to be greeted by Duchess rolling around on the floor. Smiling I pick her up and carry her towards the kitchen where I set her on the counter in front of her empty bowl.

Bending down I get the small cup and scoop up some cat food from the container hidden in a cabinet next to the sink. Standing up straight I then pour the food into the bowl, Duchess began eating her food and purring at the same time.

Walking away I head for the front door, there I slip on my winter coat and boots. Then next I grab my keys and make my way to the door. "Bye, Duchess," I call just before shutting the door. With that, I walk down the hallway until I reached the stairs.

When I exited the building I stop right in front of my parked car. Getting in from the sidewalk I turn on the car then slowly pull away from the curb. It had been months since I last seen my mother, we were on okay terms and talking but with her... she was unpredictable.

It had been snowing since last night, so with a fresh layer, it meant I had to be cautious. My mother's house was about ten, maybe fifteen minutes away depending on traffic.

When I reached the house, I slowly turn into the driveway. As I shut off the car, I watch my mother come running out of the house in her boots but no coat. Stepping out of the car I was greeted with warm arms wrapping around me. Hesitant at first I stand there as she sways us back and forth before slowly placing my hands on her back.

Afterward, she releases me. "Let's go, it's freezing," she says. Pursing my lips together I nod and follow her inside. As we both stepped into the foyer I stomp on the carpet to get the excess snow off my boots. Slipping off my coat I hang it on the rack revealing the black turtle-neck I was wearing along with my dark grey jeans. Slowly I pull off my boots then follow my mother into the kitchen where she had been cooking up the Christmas Eve dinner for this evening.

"You said you had someone coming over? Is it Lizzi?" I ask. Honestly, I hoped Lizzi wasn't coming, she and I had issues a few months back due to her bringing me into her drama. My mother shook her head and smiled.

"It's a surprise," she says.

Coming up next to her I take over with peelings potatoes for our potato dumplings. Keeping my eyes on the peeler my mother chuckled softly. As I continued to do some of the cooking my mother giggled when she heard the front door open. Turning to her she mouthed 'They're here.' Rolling my eyes I turn back to the potatoes, I place the already peeled ones into a small pot and let them cook for a while.

I could hear my mother greeting whoever just entered, soon after I heard their footsteps make their way closer to the kitchen. When they both reached the archway I saw him, he looked no different from the last time I saw him. As he looked up at me, a smile spread across his face. "Hey." he greets. 

═════ 🌙 ═════