28

Chapter 28: Feels Like Home

═════ 🌙 ═════

~(Y/N)~

Tomorrow was the anniversary and for some reason I was nervous. In the kitchen I was making breakfast. Today my mother and I decided we'd go house hunting, I wanted to find something quickly so I wouldn't have to stay too long.

While serving my food on a plate I hear a 'psst' sound coming from my left. Turning my head I find Milo at the entrance of the kitchen. A little confused I set down the full plate and walk out of the kitchen. Following him I saw him head to the front door, looking back for a moment I soon turn forward and head for the front door.

Walking out I turn to find him sitting in the swinging bench my mother had. Gently he patted down on the spot next to him beckoning me to come sit with him. Doing so I take a seat next to him to see what he wanted. "Yes?" I ask.

He smiles. "Your mother told me about your father. A real prick if you ask me." he says.

I smile and nod. It was kind of a touchy subject to talk to him about but I allowed him to keep talking. "Listen kid, I know I haven't been in your life all that long. But I want you to know you can talk to me about anything. You can consider me as your father and not just Milo." he says.

Smiling, I liked that idea very much. "That'd be great." I say softly.

Placing his hand on top of mine, we sat there in silence enjoying each other's presence. It was nice to know Milo was willing to be there for me and step in. He was will to make memories with us and to help me move past the bad ones I gained from my actual father.

It didn't take long for my mother to find us both on the deck. "I just found food left in the kitchen." she says.

I turn to her. "Oh, sorry. I was gonna eat before we left but Milo wanted to talk." I tell her.

She smiles and comes to sit beside me. "What about? Is he trying to hire you into his engineering business?" she asks.

Smiling back at her I shook my head. "No honey. I was just telling her that she could think of me as her father." Milo tells my mother. She smiles and nods at us both.

"That's good to hear. (Y/N) sweetie, I'm gonna put your food in the fridge. You go change, I don't wanna be late when meeting the realtor." she says as she stands up.

Nodding I stand up and make my way inside after her leaving Milo who continued to sit out on the bench. Walking over to my room I ended up leaving the door open as I changed. Pulling my shirt over my head I didn't realize my mother had just gotten a full view of my entire back.

"Oh god!" she says.

Rushing into my room she shut the door and placed her hand on my back. I stand up straight and turn to face her while standing there in only a bra. "What?" I ask.

She twirls her finger around beckoning me to spin around. My lips form into an 'o' shape as I turn to show her my back. "Did Erick do this to you?" she asks me.

Turning my head to the side I nod. "He bought a whip when I started high school." I mutter. Quickly I throw a shirt on and turn to her, my mother's face had guilt written all over it.

"I'm such a horrible mother." she says as she takes a seat on my bed.

I didn't say anything, I just took a seat next to her. "No, mom. You didn't know because Erick never called." I tell her.

She turns to me looking a little confused. "Why couldn't you?" she asks.

I turn back and look at the floor. "The only phone available was the one in his bedroom and he kept that door locked all the time. All the other phones he cut. If I tried to run away he'd call the cops and have them take me back." I say.

"That's horrible, I'm so sorry sweetie. If I had known I would've never left you alone with him." she says.

I wondered if that was even true. Would she have come for me if she had known I was being hurt? I mean we were in a good place now, but back then she still decided to leave. And if she wanted me then she would've taken me then. "It's okay now mom. He's gone." I say.

Although it didn't change the past, I didn't have to worry about Erick being around to torment me. He was dead, end of story. The only things I had to worry about was my memories that would come back occasionally. Placing my hand on my mother back I gently pat there. "We should get going. Don't wanna be late." I say.

Smiling she nods in agreement and stands up off the bed. Going back to the door she opens it and walks out leaving me to finish getting ready. I was glad though I still had a mother, even when she could be a pain in the ass at times. I was just glad to have her, and a new father who I know won't hurt me.

Standing up I finish getting ready by slipping on some shoes and grabbing my phone then bag. Walking out of my bedroom I met my mother by the front door and watched as Milo walked in, he kissed my mother softly then turned to me. "You two have fun." he says.

Walking over he placed a soft kiss on my forehead then walked off towards the kitchen. Turning back to look at my mom I smile softly and walk outside with her. Going over to her car I get in the passenger seat while she got in the drivers. Backing out of the driveway she turn to the left and drove off down the street.

For a good portion of the day I spent with my mother looking at a few apartments. I liked a few and kept them in mind. But I was glad I got to spend the day with her, I didn't think about anything else, just about which place I'd choose.

After looking at the last place, I felt a buzz from my phone. Pulling it out I look down to find a text from Desiree. Opening my phone I go directly to the message. 'Can you meet me tonight?'

I quickly type back replying yes then shut off my phone. Heading back to the car, my mother and I drove back home and on the way we discussed which place was the best fit for me. 

═════ 🌙 ═════